Putting a 572 in 87 monte carlo ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Ratkay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2016
So what would i need to make sure I have no issues with putting a 572 bbc in my 87 monte carlo ss. Upgrade suspension? transmission?

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Welcome to the site. Lots of good folks here. Its usually customary to introduce yourself, when you're new on the site, and give us some info on your car.
The 572 is a pretty serious engine. I'm assuming that you're talking about one of the GM crate engines here. What are your goals for the car? Is it going to be strictly a race car? Do you intend to drive it on the street? Do you want to keep any power accessories? Are you concerned about handling?
The more info that you're able to provide, the better the information that you'll get in return. Just my $0.02.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada
The cooling system,transmission,rearend,brakes,front springs etc. will all need to be upgraded.
There were some good questions raised by clean8485 above,if you state your goals it will give us a better idea on how we can help.
But a big block will fit,there are a few of us here that have them.
Heres a picture of mine;

Guy

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The frame will need to be boxed and braced or you will twist that car like a pretzel with that much torque.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

David Ratkay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2016
Welcome to the site. Lots of good folks here. Its usually customary to introduce yourself, when you're new on the site, and give us some info on your car.
The 572 is a pretty serious engine. I'm assuming that you're talking about one of the GM crate engines here. What are your goals for the car? Is it going to be strictly a race car? Do you intend to drive it on the street? Do you want to keep any power accessories? Are you concerned about handling?
The more info that you're able to provide, the better the information that you'll get in return. Just my $0.02.
not sure what a power accessory is. and yes one of the gm crate engines. I want to turn this into a race car but also a daily driver. you know bragging rights.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Power accessory = power steering,AC...
Guy

David Ratkay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2016
so what where could I move the ac unit/radiator to fit that engine in there without any issues?

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
I cant help with the AC question,mine was an original AC car but all the parts had been removed when I bought it.
My cooling system consists of a 4 core rad,clutch fan and,IIRC,a 7 blade fan,full radiator shroud,Milodon Hi Flow 180 degree thermostat and a Weiand aluminum high volume water pump.
Works great and never overheats even on the hottest summer day.
Guy

David Ratkay

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 20, 2016
I cant help with the AC question,mine was an original AC car but all the parts had been removed when I bought it.
My cooling system consists of a 4 core rad,clutch fan and,IIRC,a 7 blade fan,full radiator shroud,Milodon Hi Flow 180 degree thermostat and a Weiand aluminum high volume water pump.
Works great and never overheats even on the hottest summer day.
Guy
Do you rememberbthebexact brand of the parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor