Quick question: Adjustable Thermostat Probe Location

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
I have a dual fan setup installed and wired up, however the instructions seem to show the probe laying on the radiator fins. I have three scenarios and I'm not sure which is best. So I need someone to tell me the best option for installing the probe. I have attached 3 pics showing each option.

Option 1: Placing probe flat against fins.
Option 2: Use the clamp that holds probe close to fins but not touching.
Option 3: Push probe through the fins perpendicular.

Attachments

• PXL_20230805_011520573.jpg
    PXL_20230805_011520573.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
  • PXL_20230805_011538201.jpg
    PXL_20230805_011538201.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20230805_011551322.jpg
    PXL_20230805_011551322.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
It needs to go laterally or perpendicular against the fins... I.E.: metal to metal contact.

On the scenario where you show the prob laying on top of radiator. There are actually some spring clips that fit in there and they will hold the full length of the probe snug against the top of the radiator. I am just not aware of who sells them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
With clamp as you show, it's being insulated by the plastic cover of the clamp plus you have too much air space. Air is a great heat insulator.

Stabbing it through the fins you can damage the fins but more importantly the thermo couple will not work properly.

I like this setup better...

Screenshot_20230805-163141.png

The switch is mounted directly into the water jacket. It mounts into intake manifold or thermostat housing and is the outlet flow from the heads. Most switches turn fans on when temp hits 185*F and shuts off fans at 165*F

Splitting hairs maybe a bit, but you want the fans to come on when there is hot coolant needing to be cooled regardless of radiator temperature. Realistically the radiator is hot, but by measuring the actual coolant temperature to turn the fans on is much more robust and less failure prone.

The above is just an example of using the temperature switch type system. Several sources make this type of system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I clamped mine against the upper rad hose. It isn't very accurate according to the Davies Craig controller but at least I didn't damage fins with the probe.

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Thanks for the input. Been a while since I used that style. It was in a 64 F100 and had brass tanks.

Last edited:

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
It should go on the hottest end of the radiator about 1/4 way down as most fan controls are just before the thermostat. It needs to be as close to or up against the tubes as possible for the radiant heat. 78Delta88 shows the best way and have it right in the cooling system. Set it up like a Camaro’s would probably be spot on.

Reactions: 1 user

tngbody

Greasemonkey
Sep 17, 2019
This is what I ended up doing. Issues?

PXL_20230808_230014345.jpg

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Looks like it should work. Time will tell.
Keep check on the zip tie if/when it breaks ... The housing will come loose.

Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
With clamp as you show, it's being insulated by the plastic cover of the clamp plus you have too much air space. Air is a great heat insulator.

Stabbing it through the fins you can damage the fins but more importantly the thermo couple will not work properly.

I like this setup better...

View attachment 225830

The switch is mounted directly into the water jacket. It mounts into intake manifold or thermostat housing and is the outlet flow from the heads. Most switches turn fans on when temp hits 185*F and shuts off fans at 165*F

Splitting hairs maybe a bit, but you want the fans to come on when there is hot coolant needing to be cooled regardless of radiator temperature. Realistically the radiator is hot, but by measuring the actual coolant temperature to turn the fans on is much more robust and less failure prone.

The above is just an example of using the temperature switch type system. Several sources make this type of system.

It is not splitting hairs. Into the coolant is the only proper way to read coolant temperature.

A dry probe on the radiator, whether it's in the fins or on the fins on contacting the tank has a major flaw with this set up. As air flow through the grille will change the reading to lower than what the coolant may actually be at.

I do support adjustable so you can adjust it to just above your thermostat temperature. If you have a non adjustable set up at say 185. If you have a 190 thermostat. You will be in a situation where the fan turns on before the thermostat opens. Blowing air across a radiator that is not flowing is just a waste of energy.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
One of the reasons I like the switch to be in the coolant is for the reasons you state. Yet, I try to help the OP with his question related to the equipment has. The way it is setup currently it is above the fan so other than ambient flow, the air flow is negligible for the equipment he has with his current setup.

Who knows, maybe it won't work. Maybe in a month or two he can or will change it to a different system.

Likewise, as you state and are correct, the fan might turn on with no flow. Yet, when the thermostat does open, it will be flowing and the radiator will be full of hot coolant and the fans will be on.

Last edited:
  • Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor