CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Thought I'd shoot this question I have. I Found out last night that my Orig Stock Radio harness/connector that goes into the backside of the radio itself was cut out of the harness from my car. Does have a Factory harness to sell? Are the connector designs the same from a '78-79-80 to 81+? Cars. As well Rear speaker harness? Not sure yet if I'm going back to 4x10 oval rear or 6x9. (I have the adaptors) but want to keep the stock rear harness and connectors. As If it was never touched.

There's a Pontiac Bonneville at a salvage yard I go to with a Stock radio in it, but not sure if the wire connector's design changed. I thought it was a 1981-83 car but might be 85-86. Not positive either... :( but I think maybe the previous owners cut out the side (3.5") speaker harness too. In the meantime, I am waiting for Interior Paint to take my dash out and look into it. Hopefully, I'm Going to the junkyard Saturday, until then. I looked at my spare '78 Grand Le mans harness which has the front side connectors, and rear. but no connectors. Cut and spliced "twisted" wires on that one that held El'cheapo 6x9s. Mine is a basic AM/FM single DIN unit. Though I might add a Retrosound radio not sure yet. It all depends on the Budget. This headliner fabric is kicking my *ss.
I Can't find any fabric at all in the 78-79 light blue or anything close to factory.

Anyway, I hope this message isn't too long! but I really don't know Jack about the wiring on these cars. I would love to find a company that reproduces the original style harness and buy new ones! but doubtful there are any. Thanks to all who read this and responded. :friday:

picture of my spare harness FRONT wire sections.
Will rear work from a Malibu? Others?

20230824_185659.jpg
20230824_185630(1).jpg
20230824_185538.jpg

Last edited:

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
The main connector is the one that goes into the rear of the radio that provides power as well as speaker and antenna connections. Basically, you will not need any special connectors for the front and rear speakers. As for speaker wires, just use similar gauge wires to each speaker. Remember speakers have positive and negative sides. The best way to accomplish this rewiring task is to set up test harnesses to make sure the radio and speakers are working correctly. Once you've established and documented what goes where, then run the wires in your vehicle. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
The main connector is the one that goes into the rear of the radio that provides power as well as speaker and antenna connections. Basically, you will not need any special connectors for the front and rear speakers. As for speaker wires, just use similar gauge wires to each speaker. Remember speakers have positive and negative sides. The best way to accomplish this rewiring task is to set up test harnesses to make sure the radio and speakers are working correctly. Once you've established and documented what goes where, then run the wires in your vehicle. Good luck!
That's the issue i don't have the Main Connector & have NO IDEA what it's supposed to look like., Where can i buy a Brand new Exact reproduction copy of one?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor