Rear End in a junkyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curlz

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I was walking my local U-pull-it yard here in town, and I stumbled upon a 93' caprice LTZ. It has a 8.5", posi (not gov-lock), and 3.23 gears. I looked underneath and its obvious the suspension mounts are totally different from the G-bodies. I can get the complete rear end for $75, is it worth to pull it? How much modification would be required to fit into a G body? The stock 8.5's from G's are few and fare between here so if I could make it work with some mods I'd do it. Any input would be great.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
1. Upper control arm mounts are spaced wider apart and forward of axle centerline. Geometry won't work on a G.
2. Too wide - have to narrow it and shorten the axles.
Spend a middle amount and fix up your 7.5. Or go full enchilada and get a ford 9".

Curlz

Apprentice
Aug 4, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
PERFECT! Thanks, thats exactly what i needed to know. I have built up my stock 7.5 with better gears, posi etc, I'm not doing drag racing, just a strong daily driver so the 7.5 will hold up just fine. I just wanted to make sure a prime axle wasn't going to slip by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor