Rear seat brace vs bulkhead.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
No offense to anyone. I honestly believe that everything is just a bandaid to the real problem. The frame and the old rubber body mounts. Just my opinion but reinforcing the frame correctly and using something harder than rubber (poly) should reduce flex greatly. Having done both i still added the X brace. Jmo.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
No offense to anyone. I honestly believe that everything is just a bandaid to the real problem. The frame and the old rubber body mounts. Just my opinion but reinforcing the frame correctly and using something harder than rubber (poly) should reduce flex greatly. Having done both i still added the X brace. Jmo.

I agree, it should be mentioned that rear seat braces won't really work without the #5 bushings installed.

Boxing the frame would be the best fix but its a complex and delicate procedure. To box a frame correctly it should be clamped into a chassis jig and back step welded to minimize heat warpage.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Boxing the frame would be the best fix but its a complex and delicate procedure. To box a frame correctly it should be clamped into a chassis jig and back step welded to minimize heat warpage.
With out clamping into a jig might remove the warping from when they were originally put together.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I boxed mine with Hellwig kit. Following instructions to a T. Measured carefully prior. When done it hadn't moved at all. If I remember correctly less than a sixteenth of an inch. Body went back on with zero issues.

Reactions: 3 users

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN

I wasnt paying attention or ignoring all this bracing all these yrs. I havent changed much on my car for nearly the last 20 yrs. One of the last changes I made way back when were solid body mounts. That surely seemed to firm up the way the car felt.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I agree, it should be mentioned that rear seat braces won't really work without the #5 bushings installed.

I believe these are the bushings you speak of...
20190928_185257.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
After reading all the spirited discussion on the rear seat brace in this and previous threads, I've come to 3 conclusions:

1. Not going to install the tubular bolt-in brace I got from Mike's Montes years ago but never installed
2. Not going to spend $270 for any stamped sheet metal brace no matter how well is fits
3. Will buy strips of 0.100 steel and bolt/rivet install with seam sealer

Was going to use reproduction rubber body mounts; but I'm hearing good things about the urethane.

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I believe these are the bushings you speak of...
View attachment 231918
You have really beefed up the LCA to frame connection with the weld-in and the UMI bolt-in. I have the UMI bolt-in, and will install when I swap in the 8.5 this spring.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor