Rear seat brace vs bulkhead.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I'm not even sure those do a lot since there's no provision to actually bolt to the body in that location. Maybe there is a on GNX, but my 87 Cutlass just has a place for that bushing to rest, there's no cage nuts there or anything.

That part of the body acts like an accordion stretching up and down, mostly squishing down. The rear seat brace combined with the #5 bushings reduces the body squishing which flexs ths rear frame rails down, eventually leading to stress cracks.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Let me chime in here.....My name is Chad Dickey and I am the maker of the Turbo Farm (GNX) Rear Seat Brace. Unfortunately this post is missing some very important details.

I made the Turbo Farm brace after buying my silver T and seeing that the x "tube style" braces were cracked. These things are garbage and that was where they ended up.

So after buying a GNX style brace to replace the tube garbage it was basically tin foil with holes..
so thats when I decided to make my own....THE RIGHT WAY.

The Chad Dickey/Turbo Farm Rear Seat Brace is made from 11 GAUGE STEEL (not14.) It does not need rolled inlays for rigidity because its 11 GAUGE STEEL. Nor does it need a extra piece spot welded on the feet.....the tinman does because its so thin. All 13 holes are predrilled and the brace is POWDERCOATED not painted. My Brace comes with 13 STAINLESS STEEL STRUCTURAL RIVETS. (1/4") , instructions and link to the YouTube install vid. I strongly suggest in addition to the rivets you use a body panel or metal on metal adhesive. When this is completed it is INSANE how solid it is. There is no comparison.
Total weight is 10.3 lbs. I sell these for $250 SHIPPED. Feel free to contact me anytime. 815 695 5290

I also offer this Chad Dickey/Turbo Farm brace in ALUMINUM. Weight is 5.1 lbs. This brace is not always in stock. Special order. Price is 310.00 SHIPPED.

One more thing I forgot to add. The x tubes are garbage mainly because of two keys points.
1 They are very thin, and 2 they dont tie into the floorpan....thats key. If you have them get rid of them before you find cracks in ur roof.
Thanks for sharing this insight/info.

Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
When I relocated my battery to the trunk, I made a firewall bulkhead out of .040” aluminum. Yes, just pop riveted aluminum in. I did notice that the car felt better after that. Just sharing my experience, but any bracing will help.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You have really beefed up the LCA to frame connection with the weld-in and the UMI bolt-in. I have the UMI bolt-in, and will install when I swap in the 8.5 this spring.
Rear upper control arm mount points are also reinforced along with other bracing but cannot locate pictures. Probably still in original thread. I did the best I could with stock frame. The other alternative is spending 30k on something like Roadster shop but I'm not a Rockefeller. Lol

Reactions: 3 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I'll add, if you plan on putting the battery in the trunk, you should have a bulkhead regardless. So it won't hurt to have one. Second, the extra mounts have been like that forever. Even my 70 has those 2 as optional and they are not bolted in they just get squeezed between body and frame.

Reactions: 3 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'll add, if you plan on putting the battery in the trunk, you should have a bulkhead regardless. So it won't hurt to have one. Second, the extra mounts have been like that forever. Even my 70 has those 2 as optional and they are not bolted in they just get squeezed between body and frame.
I'm sure that's a rule for certain sanctioning bodies. What about a sealed and vented box as I have ?
20200823_150949.jpg

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I'd like to see the ASC GNX rear brace that came factory in GNX's if anyone has a picture.

Its pretty much the same stamping as the rear braces that were spotwelded in Grand Prixs and some Monte Carlos. The main difference would be that the rear brace was riveted on top.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor