rebuilding my 455 again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
So last year she started burming some oil. I stuck her in the back yard for the winter to rip the engine out this spring. I got it ripped down yesterday. I found to gouges in the #2and 8 cylinder wall. I left my measuring stuff at work so I wont know if a .060 over bore will fix it like i think it will. I was told .060 was still pretty safe. Welcome to all comments. Should I just get a new block or fix it if possible?

Attachments

• 20140412_175339_zpsfeii6o4y.jpg
    20140412_175339_zpsfeii6o4y.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 626

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What the hell caused that? Sorry I cant provide helpful info im just curious :lol:

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
Wrist pins some how slid into the side walls. Stock press fit ones some how slid out....

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
Well I measured the to bores today at work. Block is only good for a tabel at this point. Im going to pick one up tomorrow to get to the machine shop before they get really busy. Still thinking of going .060 over.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I have a .060" overbore on my 455. No problems.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
Make sure you look into your wrist pin problem, I think I have seen what I thought was every way to junk a motor but I have never seen that before. If the pin is correct and it's not a bushed rod there is no way for it to work out, anyone who has pressed pins in before will agree with me it is a very tight press.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
Yah id look into it more if I was using anything from the old engine except for the crank. The crank is at the machine shop with the block and new rods. Im going to have it punched 30 over, align honed. He will ballance all of it and ill assemble it. What kind of pistons do you guys recommend im looking for around 9.5 to 1. I would also like to stay away from press fit, do I need to use press fit ones with the stock rods? I was thinking of using the xe274 or would somone recommend something different? I have 342 gears.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
I would recommend not going with a .060 over bore on a stock bore block. Because if anything were to happen again then you would need another block. You should want to go with a safe bore just in case. I have seen brand new engines drop a valve or snap a ring and gouge the cylinder wall and you don't want to be in the case where you would then need another block. Now if your new block needs to go .060 over then go for it.

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
Yah It needs a 30 over we decided to just leave it there

Dennyboy

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2011
Minnesota
Dennyboy said:
Yah id look into it more if I was using anything from the old engine except for the crank. The crank is at the machine shop with the block and new rods. Im going to have it punched 30 over, align honed. He will ballance all of it and ill assemble it. What kind of pistons do you guys recommend im looking for around 9.5 to 1. I would also like to stay away from press fit, do I need to use press fit ones with the stock rods? I was thinking of using the xe274 or would somone recommend something different? I have 342 gears.

Any thoughts guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor