Rebuilding my vortec 355 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Re: Rebuilding my vortec 355

Thanks longroof! Well went to the machine shop today they tore down my motor.. and told me to come in. I know the guys well down there and could tell when I got the call in wasn't good. The motor all ways had a slight piston slap nothing to bad so I never worried about it. Then one cold morning it was louder than other times just figuring the motor was cold I thought nothing of it drove it about 3 times after that for about 150 miles. So what happened is this thing was destroying the piston over time and cracked the skirt. While the skirt was cracked it also destroyed my block by cracking it as well. Here's the carnage..

wtf010.jpg

wtf008.jpg

wtf007.jpg

wtf005.jpg

wtf004.jpg

wtf003.jpg

But the good news is it did no other damage my crank is fine rods are too bearings were in perfect condition looked like any 1000 mile motor should. I was also happy to see my xe268 cam was in perfect condition too all the lifters were good though the dog in the picture above snooped into my parts and knocked down the tray that had them lined up. It was late so I never got to mark them... but I have another cam anyways. Along with all that I have a couple spare 350s so I'll yank one of them get a new set of pistons and everything should be good to go!

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Re: Rebuilding my vortec 355 update motor is home

Just got back from the machine shop to finally pick up my SBC beauty. Here is some pics, but not really much you can take of a short block haha.

111098.jpg

111097.jpg

111096.jpg

111095.jpg

So just got put the rest of it togather and paint her up.

If anyone is interested I have the old xe268 cam only (as stated above the dog knocked all my lifter out of line before I marked them) that all the lobes still look perfect I'll sell the cam you'll just have to break it in again with new lifters I'll sell that and the cloyes timing chain that were togather (both of these items have somewere around 1000 miles on them, nothing more) for 30 obo you pay shipping. I also have a plastic dash cover that I bought that I decided not to install. It's from opgi it was like 150 with shipping. I'll sell that for 85 obo you pay shipping. I get pics for anyone interested.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Re: Rebuilding my vortec 355 carnage inside

Well I decided to put my long block together and get her painted up. I'm trying go for the stock appering engine look even though these cars didn't have orange engine paint in these years that I know of I painted the valve covers orange also. I also painted my edelbrock performer RPM manifold an aluminum color to give more of the 70's factory aluminum color. Here it is!

Started with the heads

moto1.jpg

motor.jpg

than the engine block

moto2.jpg

7192011.jpg

than put it together

moto3.jpg

moto5.jpg

moto6.jpg

I'm waiting on my oil pan to arrive which is why it's not on there yet but I'm happy with the results so far!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That engine looks real nice....what oil pan are you going to be installing....reason I'm asking is I put an 8 quart moroso pan which I now have to drop to put an oil pump baffle and a windage tray. The oil slopping around causing the pressure to drop revving it up on the highway. Figure I'd mention it just in case, easier to do it now than after it's in....

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm just using a stock replacement from Summitracing.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Re: Rebuilding my vortec 355 engines in!

Well after 2 and half months of being engineless is finally back in! Some pics of course!!

moto87.jpg

moto88.jpg

moto89.jpg

Just gonna bolt everything up in the coming days, just having some fun taking my time. It's been a long time since I have wanted to work on a car because it's just felt like a chore so now I'm just have some fun and do what I can when I want!

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
This is the second engine in a year and 7 months haha. I started because I wanted more power, than I decided I needed more! haha.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
So, in the past 5 months I have sold my el camino after owning it for 7 years and receiving it for Christmas when I was a whole 12 years old. Literally 4 days after my last post here it was sold and I was moving from my house 2 weeks later! I now have my own place, and a new job at a bank great hours even better pay but I also kept my old job. I sold the car so I could move out and be on my own I don't miss it (yet) but I do wish I could have finished it. I kept in contact with the guy that bought it and he got it running but didn't use the right oil (nor did he break the engine in) and the 4500 dollar build on the engine was SHOT. I got to hear it running before it died. He told me that he re-broke in the engine with the oil I told him the first time after learning about the importance of the zinc in the oil. He said it's running good but yet it was for sale 1 month later :roll:

So I started looking for a 4th gen T/A 6 speed back in august and looked in 5 states drove LITERALLY thousands of miles and found one mid-last month around the same time I got the el camino. Some may know my hatred for LT1 swaps as I have voiced my opinion on them quite a few times. I love the one in my T/A but I really still do not know why someone would go through the problem of swapping one of these things haha!! go LSX and don't look back. Mine is a 1996 WS.6 6 speed car and is FUN.

2012-01-08_14-14-23_690.jpg

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Nice F body. I have a soft spot for them. Next car I put together is most likely going to be a 3rd or 4th gen firebird.

mycarcarcar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor