Show off your engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefCut83

Apprentice
Dec 24, 2011
jrm81bu said:
ChiefCut83 said:
Did you drill and tap for the 4 bolts on the middle of the intake?
The guy whole I bought the engine from built it, so I'm not sure but I'm interested now. Is this a common thing you must do in order to use the vortec heads?

Not exactly. Vortec heads only have 8 bolts for the intake total, and they are straight up and down. Your's looks to have the traditional 12 that are on an angle. Chances are you have swirl port heads not vortecs. If it was sold to you as vortecs then i'd check the casting number to see what you actually have. The Vortecs are better than swirl ports, but most people think that just because it has center bolt valve covers it must be a vortec, which ins't the case.[/quote]

Oh I see, I've also heard there are two different casting numbers, something like one is better than the other and would you know the casting number or a link I could try and figure it out

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
The last three digits for Vortecs would be 906 or 062.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
ChiefCut83 said:
jrm81bu said:
ChiefCut83 said:
The guy whole I bought the engine from built it, so I'm not sure but I'm interested now. Is this a common thing you must do in order to use the vortec heads?

Not exactly. Vortec heads only have 8 bolts for the intake total, and they are straight up and down. Your's looks to have the traditional 12 that are on an angle. Chances are you have swirl port heads not vortecs. If it was sold to you as vortecs then i'd check the casting number to see what you actually have. The Vortecs are better than swirl ports, but most people think that just because it has center bolt valve covers it must be a vortec, which ins't the case.

Oh I see, I've also heard there are two different casting numbers, something like one is better than the other and would you know the casting number or a link I could try and figure it out[/quote]
In the late 90s, when Vortecs were first getting hot with the aftermarket, several vendors were offering them redrilled for the traditional style intakes. Don't let the intake bolts fool you. Go by the casting numbers.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
ChiefCut83 said:
jrm81bu said:
ChiefCut83 said:

Not exactly. Vortec heads only have 8 bolts for the intake total, and they are straight up and down. Your's looks to have the traditional 12 that are on an angle. Chances are you have swirl port heads not vortecs. If it was sold to you as vortecs then i'd check the casting number to see what you actually have. The Vortecs are better than swirl ports, but most people think that just because it has center bolt valve covers it must be a vortec, which ins't the case.

Oh I see, I've also heard there are two different casting numbers, something like one is better than the other and would you know the casting number or a link I could try and figure it out[/quote]

In the late 90s, when Vortecs were first getting hot with the aftermarket, several vendors were offering them redrilled for the traditional style intakes. Don't let the intake bolts fool you. Go by the casting numbers.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
DRIVEN said:

True, and some people still do it now just to be able to use a regular intake. I should have mentioned that.

At the same time there doesn't look like there is any meat above the bolts in the pic in question which leads me to think that it is a standard intake with hogged out center holes to fit a swirl port head.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Malibu's 350
100_1712-1.jpg

Chevette's 350

2013-01-17_13-34-57_928.jpg

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
jrm81bu said:
ChiefCut83 said:

Not exactly. Vortec heads only have 8 bolts for the intake total, and they are straight up and down. Your's looks to have the traditional 12 that are on an angle. Chances are you have swirl port heads not vortecs. If it was sold to you as vortecs then i'd check the casting number to see what you actually have. The Vortecs are better than swirl ports, but most people think that just because it has center bolt valve covers it must be a vortec, which ins't the case.[/quote]
Do you know the years vortec engines(5.7)covered? And are they basically the same,parts wise?reason being I just aquired a mcSS with a vortec engine which I believe is a 5.7 from the performance and pep in the step it has,but am not 100% sure an until I pull the engine to get it ready for a tpi swaP I'd like to keep the matineance up and what not,thanks,and sorry for the thread jack :shock:

racing8up

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2010
my 377 sbc

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!n8E63WLoHU1BO4qesNP4Q~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!n8E63WLoHU1BO4qesNP4Q~~60_3.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 896
  • $(KGrHqJ,!p8E63Zwg4W(BO4qfHB!(g~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!p8E63Zwg4W(BO4qfHB!(g~~60_3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 890
  • $(KGrHqZ,!nME63S99g!QBO4qfiKIFw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!nME63S99g!QBO4qfiKIFw~~60_3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 881
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor