Small steel parts / preventing rust

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
On bare metal steel parts that i've cleaned (fuel/vac lines, clips, hardware), what works to prevent / deter rust? I've spray clearcoated parts, and I've zinc plated some small stuff that I've removed. Other parts like the steel loops on the power steering lines are surface rusting again - I'm not removing those to clean them. Just wondering what works & what everybody does.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Well, if you're not up for removing stuff to clean and coat them, option are going to be limited. You could try touching up with something like POR-15. But they're going to need to be somewhat clean at least. Any oil/grease is going to cause failure of whatever coating you put on there. But at least you don't have to strip all the rust.

If you're not too worried about the aesthetics of the parts, you could just spray them with something like Fluid Film or Woolwax. Should at least keep the rust to a minimum.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I use Interlux Primocon on steel parts that I expect to rust. It is an underwater metals primer that is designed for metal boats and outboard motor lower units. It is supposed to be overcoated but I usually don't bother. It dries to a flat aluminum color that works well with engine/drivetrain components. It is fairly durable, but gas will dissolve it.
s-l960.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know someone that tried that on car floorboards. He isn't finished yet so no review. It has to be prepped with lacqer thinner, contains Xylene and Toluene, so be careful. I used to use Xylene to thin solvent based bottom paint, and that is one of the reasons I switched to water based instead. I do like Xylene to thin and clean up the Primocon. Xylene is similar to lacquer thinner, but slower to evaporate. FWIW the Primocon goes on just like any other paint.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
longer term bare metal protection,believe it or not i'll lock it down with bulldog adhesion promoter spray.i'd spray it down,it dries and doesn't flash rust.I've also hosed a rag or a scuff pad with wd 40 and work it in and that keeps it too.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor