Smoking 383

Status
Not open for further replies.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I have a 383 with maybe 30,000 miles on it at most, and they were regular daily driven miles not high RPM blasts.
It used oil like you wouldn't believe, but didn't smoke like you'd think (1 quart to 50 miles).
Super vaccume in crankcase.
Determined the cause was leaking intake gaskets, so a new RPM Air-Gap was installed and sealed up with Fel-Pro gaskets.
Everything seemed fine, manifold seals well, until we noticed the massive amount of smoke coming from the exhaust.
There is some blow-by from the valve cover, but does not increase when RPM increases, so that makes me think its not rings.
Does this sound like valve guides to you all??
Let me know if you need more info and please give me your thoughts!!

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
Yeah, I'm rooting for valve guides too. I don't wanna yank the whole engine, but taking the heads off in a car that makes it tough to get the valve covers off should still be quite a treat.
Thanks for the input folks.

ChevyIIMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 30, 2005
I had some umbrella seals get destroyed on my heads a while back and it would smoke hard on decelleration.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
One way to check to see if it's the rings or the valves is a compression test on each cylinder and after testing a cylinder pour a little oil down the cylinder and test it again. If it's the rings then the compression will increase with the oil....if it stays the same then the valve is leaking.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
What do you mean by "super vacumn" in the crankcase?

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
If I stuck on a closed cap and plugged the PCV hose, there would be a huge woosh when I took the cap off again. Since the intake gaskets weren't sealed at the bottom, the flow of air into the heads was pulling oil and air from the lifter valley too, causoing massive vacuume in the cranck case. Did that makes sense to anyone...I can see it in my mind, but IDK if that came out right.

I drove it around today, the smoking would be slim to none, but then once stopped and idleing for a while, it'd start to puff again. When I jumped on it after ideling, it'd belch a lil smoke and be ok.

I am thinking valve seals and possibly guides.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
It sure sounds to me that you still have a problem with intake manifold vacumn pulling oil up into the intake manifold.

ss4ever

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Shelbina, Missouri
Sure sounds like leaking intake gaskets to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor