steering wheel ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
So with everyone having a g body we all know the extra play in the wheel it's like you have to turn it twice because of how loose it is. I was wondering is it something i can do like the jeep upgrade or something but i was thinking those where for 81 and up model's but not sure but i have a 1980 cutlass and just wanted to know if i can get some of the play out if not it's not a problem though because i'm kind of use to it now.

Thanks.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Two separate issues: 1. The steering box can be adjusted (I just started a thread on this like 2 weeks ago). 2. Your front suspension and steering can have worn out components like the tie rods, centerlink and ball joints.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
LS1GN said:
Two separate issues: 1. The steering box can be adjusted (I just started a thread on this like 2 weeks ago). 2. Your front suspension and steering can have worn out components like the tie rods, centerlink and ball joints.

Alright, im going to change those and look at your thread thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in that same thread this was posted and be sure to read it...... it would be wise to follow Bill's suggestions IMO..

billyjack said:
I've done this to many steering boxes in 35 years and just want to add a few notes of caution:
The textbook way to do it is with the box on the bench, using a beam-type inch-pounds torque wrench on the end of the sector shaft to measure the drag at the center point of the travel. Adjusting the preload too tight will reduce the steering gear's self-centering ability and it becomes a PIA to drive straight down the road. If you're going to shadetree the adjustment process, do it out on the road. Make a small punch or scribe mark on the adjuster bolt and a reference mark on the housing. Adjust a 1/4 turn at a time, with a drive after each adjustment to make sure the steering centers itself properly. Once you get to the point that the steering won't center itself easily, back it off 1/4 turn and do one final drive. It may take an hour or two to do, but in the long run you'll be glad you gave the job the attention it deserves.

Bill

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Do they have a pitman arm for 80 cutlass i called 4 different auto part store's and the seem not to have them or can i use one from anther model car?

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
The pittman arm has no wear points. One end is splined to fit on the steering box sector shaft and the other end has a tapered hole to accept the ball joint on the center link.The most likely causes of slop in the steering are the joints in the center link and idler arm, followed by tie rod ends and lastly steering box preload. If you have someone slowly wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you closely inspect every part of the linkage for lost motion, you'll have a better idea of what to replace. BTW, I've done the Jeep shaft swap on my Camino. It's a great way to find that last bit of steering precision, but only after everything else downstream has been tested good or replaced.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor