Suggestions for good heads, cam for sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
Well I've got my intake, block, and carb, and gettin headers shortly, but I need heads and a cam. I've never build an engine so not too sure what directions to go. I'm lookin to make about 300-350rwhp.
It's a gen 1 sbc 350. It's also bored over too. .30 right now, but prolly more to clean up the bores. So any suggestions?

cutty

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2008
near london ontario canada
tell us more, what are your plans with the motor, street, strip or????????????

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
What intake do you have?

The best heads for the money hands down..... DART Iron Eagle S/S. Can be had for $700 or less. I'm sure someone will say Vortecs. No way!! yea they flow decent, but not as good as DARTs and plus Vortec heads require a different intake style.

Camshaft.... do you want a smooth idle, mild choppy, or rough?? Will the car be a street car or strip??

P.S. Look at my signature. 378 HP & 419 TQ. If you want my exact specs I'll give 'em to you. Thru a PM of course.

413Cutlass

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2009
Western, Ma
going to be mostly street, prolly see the strip a handful of times. Nothin crazy. I want a nice lope, but I can give up some lope for drivability.
The intake I have is an edlebrock TM-1 scorpion, mechanical q-jet carb.
As for heads, I'm not lookin to spend $700... that may be a deal to some, but to me that's alot. Considering I can find vortec heads for under $100... I'm tryin to do this on the cheap. Like under $1000 for the whole engine. Now granted I have an intake, but it wouldn't be hard for me to sell it to get a diff piece.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
if its not you can always silicon the two extra bolt holes, and supposedly, edelbrach makes a gasket for people running this combination.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
For a cam, the Comp XE 262 is right along the lines you are looking for, but I don't know anything about the TM1 intake. I am thinking it's a single plane? If so, I would go with something like a Performer RPM instead. As for heads, The previously mentioned Iron Eagles are good, the Patriot heads, the World S/R Torquers, Vortec's, etc. Pretty much any of them is capable of 300-350hp.

My engine makes 350hp on the dyno sim I use, and is similar to an engine used by Comp Cams that made about 350hp to demo my cam. I will list it here as a point of comparison as I did quite a few hours of sim time to pick the right cam, etc. The engine is a 355 with 9.5:1 compression, World Products S/R torquer heads with 2.02/1.60 valves, Comp XE-262 cam, Comp Magnum roller tip rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake, HEI distributor and a 750cfm Q-Jet. The idle has little to no lope ( which I like), and it has buckets of low end torque from right off idle. I run 3.23 gears and it likes to spin the tire with little provocation. (I don't have posi-yet.) It's a nice street engine that gets good fuel mileage and is very drivable. It is not a race engine, but it sees the occasional test and tune night and some "spirited" back roads driving. If I were to build it today, and not 12 years ago, I would run the Patriot heads and a better oil pan with a crank scraper and built in windage tray. The heads for weight reduction and more power without compromised drivability, and the pan for some free power and better oil control in the corners.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i have the Edelbrock performer rpm heads, i like them or AFR, and i will agree with 85 Cutlass Brougham, Comp XE 262 is a good cam to run as well. might be able to get it cheep, heard they are going out of business

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
v8power said:
i have the Edelbrock performer rpm heads, i like them or AFR, and i will agree with 85 Cutlass Brougham, Comp XE 262 is a good cam to run as well. might be able to get it cheep, heard they are going out of business

First Crane, now Comp? WTF is going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor