Swap questions

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
So soon hopefully I’ll be swapping my motor out, I’m either going for a 383 stroker or an ls motor. What would entail dropping an ls in a 79 Malibu?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
1vqy90.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Haha I’m just looking for a quick summary of what’s involved. I don’t and haven’t really messed with newer motors only older carbureted

This topic has been brought up before and sadly it almost always turns ugly quick. Whatever route you go, any G hody is going to need reinforcing to withstand high HP.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The LS will need adapter plates for the motor mounts, the correct flex plate to go to an older transmission, exhaust of choice, and provisions for EFI if you choose to go that way. My car made fat turbo power and the chassis is fine on the street. The brakes, not so much.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
So soon hopefully I’ll be swapping my motor out, I’m either going for a 383 stroker or an ls motor. What would entail dropping an ls in a 79 Malibu?
What's in there now? I'm a sbc and carb guy. The LS's have been great in my trucks that came with them, especially after being tuned and modified... I'm not ready to stop messing with 1st gens though.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

Read through the sticky's at the top of this page.

The LS swaph as been discussed here a time or two ;) Whatever you think it will cost, you'll probably double that. Completing for less than $2500 + the cost of the engine is not easy.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
It's almost like people come in these groups and don't even look to see what's here..

As far as this topic "turning ugly," this is just talking about the engine it's just certain people that will eventually come along trying to say LS Engines "are garbage" because they don't understand technology and think 300 horsepower small block chevy is the end all be all..🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach

Read through the sticky's at the top of this page.

The LS swaph as been discussed here a time or two ;) Whatever you think it will cost, you'll probably double that. Completing for less than $2500 + the cost of the engine is not easy.
Yup, couple of us put a sht ton of information in them posts.

Cost all comes down to what you can do on your own vs what you need to buy. Then there's staying stock vs modding it. How far down the rabbit hole you want to go..

Besides you know the rules, take your budget and triple it.. ;)

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
It's almost like people come in these groups and don't even look to see what's here..

As far as this topic "turning ugly," this is just talking about the engine it's just certain people that will eventually come along trying to say LS Engines "are garbage" because they don't understand technology and think 300 horsepower small block chevy is the end all be all..🙄
I don’t live on this sub man just asking a quick question. I don’t even know how to properly navigate this website lol

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor