Swap questions

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
What's in there now? I'm a sbc and carb guy. The LS's have been great in my trucks that came with them, especially after being tuned and modified... I'm not ready to stop messing with 1st gens though.
Funny enough the car actually has an L98 with nitrous haha. Very weird swap imo

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I don’t live on this sub man just asking a quick question. I don’t even know how to properly navigate this website lol
Go to the home page, like the first thing you see, then scroll up and down. You'll see all kinds of categories of what is here and what people have been talking about.

Reactions: 1 user

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
So soon hopefully I’ll be swapping my motor out, I’m either going for a 383 stroker or an ls motor. What would entail dropping an ls in a 79 Malibu?
I see 283s seem to be making a small comeback or a 307 ci chevy sb with 283 pistons and shorter rods, and 416 or 193 heads medium camshaft and a 600 holly 4 barrel.(no edelbrocks)(no quadrajets)

Last edited:

BlairC_789

Apprentice
Jun 18, 2021
North Carolina
if going the LS route I recommend buying a wrecked vehicle. So you have a motor,trans,wiring harness, all the connectors and clips and junk you need. Then part the car out when you are done. In my family we did 2 LS swaps for basically free after parting the cars out.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Its a Mopar video but it really pertains to all classic cars.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
if going the LS route I recommend buying a wrecked vehicle. So you have a motor,trans,wiring harness, all the connectors and clips and junk you need. Then part the car out when you are done. In my family we did 2 LS swaps for basically free after parting the cars out.
That had been my plan when I wanted to put an LSA in but prices had gone crazy for wrecked ones so I just stuck with a good sounding motor

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yeah I've never gone that route I just pieced together what I needed but I got the stuff for extremely cheap.

My thought it comes down to the time you want to invest in dealing with parting out a whole left over pile parts.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yeah I've never gone that route I just pieced together what I needed but I got the stuff for extremely cheap.

My thought it comes down to the time you want to invest in dealing with parting out a whole left over pile parts.
And the room for a dismantled vehicle.....

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Funny enough the car actually has an L98 with nitrous haha. Very weird swap imo
Since you ALREADY have a sbc in place.... just rebuild it with what you have in mind to do with it, going LS is like a time/money pit you will not enjoy unless you're up for the challenge.

Honestly.... if you're just lQQking for moderate power, mostly a street cruiser/bruiser, 383cid will fit the bill nicely, but if your intentions is for 1000HP, go LS, it will not be street friendly, i tell you that much.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
but if your intentions is for 1000HP, go LS, it will not be street friendly, i tell you that much.
You might want to brush up on what a 1000hp LS setup is. If I wanted to build one I could daily drive it to work. 5.3l with a couple of snails on it is all it would take. VERY street friendly.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor