BUILD THREAD Sweet Johnny & Gina: A Love "Two Large" To Fail

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
i'm not a fan of the gbody 78-80 era EXCEPT for the cutlass. in that era the malibu & monte were bottom of barrel at that time but if done right like in mov training day or a low rider (when comes to montes). in recent yrs that basic boxy boring BU i will say been kinda growin on me like a fungus. now back to your cutlass, i like those most even above after 80. i judge cars like do women, aint so much the face (which those weren't too bad) its always the @$$ that grabs me, also the HIPS..... lol man those slim yrs of the cuftlass rear quarter, sexiest thangs on earth after the opera windows, it makes this monte guy drool where i cant with the 87/88 cuz @$$ just too flat. lol
I'm also a huge fan of the body lines on the quarter panels- my eyes are just drawn right to them.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I'm also a huge fan of the body lines on the quarter panels- my eyes are just drawn right to them.
yup and the tail lights were verticle like previous yrs 68-72' which weren't yrs i favored A bodies pre 70 & post 67 ut worked well on those 78-80 Gs. correction i hated the chevelles of that era. 1970 monte ss is my all time fave, the pontiacs were nice, olds & buicks had the looks where chev failed. lol

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Johnny,
I know you've kept these nice suspension parts slated for the El Camino, which is built more for performance. What performance upgrades do you have planned for the Cutlass? If you know the El Camino will be off the road for long period of time, then perhaps use the parts on the Cutlass. Looks like you'll be driving the Cutlass more, you may as well make a nice, enjoyable handling driver out of it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Originally I planned on keeping the Cutlass 100% stock, then decided that minor upgrades to the 305 would be fine so long as the parts were all factory performance ones aside from headers (I know, 305). I'll also be swapping in a TH350 with a mild stall converter, and the interior will be getting multiple changes, but ones that are very easily reverted back to stock. I hadn't ironed out the suspension yet but had intended to use 450-500# springs up front and 150# out back in conjunction with some better control arms and most likely Bilsteins of some kind. My real struggle is simply admitting that the Camino is much, much further away from seeing the road than I'd hoped, and taking its parts makes it real. I believe you guys are right though- I should install what I have and USE IT.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Originally I planned on keeping the Cutlass 100% stock, then decided that minor upgrades to the 305 would be fine so long as the parts were all factory performance ones aside from headers (I know, 305). I'll also be swapping in a TH350 with a mild stall converter, and the interior will be getting multiple changes, but ones that are very easily reverted back to stock. I hadn't ironed out the suspension yet but had intended to use 450-500# springs up front and 150# out back in conjunction with some better control arms and most likely Bilsteins of some kind. My real struggle is simply admitting that the Camino is much, much further away from seeing the road than I'd hoped, and taking its parts makes it real. I believe you guys are right though- I should install what I have and USE IT.
You could still keep the Cutlass relatively stock with a few factory suspension upgrades. Better springs, F-41 swaybars,( or the swaybars that you already have) a set of Bilsteins or KYB Gas adjust shocks, and add some of the factory braces. I guarantee you'll feel a day and night difference in handling and stability.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
You could still keep the Cutlass relatively stock with a few factory suspension upgrades. Better springs, F-41 swaybars,( or the swaybars that you already have) a set of Bilsteins or KYB Gas adjust shocks, and add some of the factory braces. I guarantee you'll feel a day and night difference in handling and stability.
My Malibu had Hotchkis springs and KYB shocks. Once I added F41 sway bars front and rear, it handled way better. I also added the jounce bars and a rear trailer hitch.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My Malibu had Hotchkis springs and KYB shocks. Once I added F41 sway bars front and rear, it handled way better. I also added the jounce bars and a rear trailer hitch.
It really doesn't take a whole lot to get these cars to handle decently. I used F-41 springs in the front, cargo coils in the rear, KYB shocks, jounce bars with a GP cross brace, 36 mm GTA front swaybar and F-41 rear swaybar, fender to core support braces, rad support X-braces, and a Curt class II trailer hitch.
I also used Energy Suspension body mounts. All these additions have greatly improved the handling .,,and I boxed the rear lower control arms.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
It really doesn't take a whole lot to get these cars to handle decently. I used F-41 springs in the front, cargo coils in the rear, KYB shocks, jounce bars with a GP cross brace, 36 mm GTA front swaybar and F-41 rear swaybar, fender to core support braces, rad support X-braces, and a Curt class II trailer hitch.
I also used Energy Suspension body mounts. All these additions have greatly improved the handling .,,and I boxed the rear lower control arms.
While the car does already have the F41 setup from the factory, those 420/140 springs are shot- I can push either end down multiple inches by hand. The shocks are bad too, of course. I don't have a rear seat brace and would have to double check to see if I've got the radiator X bars, but poly body mounts are on the list. And although I could, I won't take them from Karma. I wasn't going to mention it until I installed it but I picked up a NOS AJ47 hitch a while back that'll get mounted to a rear frame brace.... tucked behind a fiberglass bumper if I can ever make that happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Were those drop springs by chance? Also, what rate were they?

And thanks for chiming in guys, I appreciate the feedback, tips, and collective knowledge that you all have to offer.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Were those drop springs by chance? Also, what rate were they?

And thanks for chiming in guys, I appreciate the feedback, tips, and collective knowledge that you all have to offer.
They are drop springs, but I bought them back in 2008, so I couldn’t tell you much about them. The front I actually had to cut, as the front sat way too high.
just grabbed a set of BMR springs for my GP, hopefully I have a better experience.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor