The Number Two, Two’s and Twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
When I began to recall the work that needed done and the parts that needed replacing on the El Camino in the beginning, an odd statistic started to emerge from the dust and rust. It seemed tha everything came in two's. Now I take my fair share of credit for not being a professional mechanic, and "doing things right the first time", but this was not about me in every case, I just delievered my share. A lot of the duplication came because the Olds 350 engine I had and wanted in the car was missing almost everything ancillary; intake, exhausts, distributor, brackets and alternator, power steering pump and brackets, pulleys, crank damper, motor mounts, and frame mounts.

1. Two paint jobs. The car had a chalky white paint job that had badly oxidized and was thin in spots, letting surface rust through. I left the top and hood white and repainted it with a satin finish pure white. The lower half is orange, so two-tone. The second paint job occurred when I changed the interior to gray/charcoal and the bed to a black brush-on bedliner, years later.

2. Two sets of rod bearings. The machine shop had measured them incorrectly, so after all the machine work was finished, I had to order slightly larger rod bearings; .010 to .020 minus.

3. Two gasket sets. I used the original timing cover which was heavily pitted from corrosion. After seeing my pics, a friend sent me a newer timing cover in better shape and so the water pump and timing cover gaskets were ruined and required a second gasket set, most of which I still have for future adventures.

4. Brake lines. The original steel lines were replaced with Stainless Steel to slow the rust which occurs with DOT 3/4. While cutting off the muffler with a cutting wheel, I slipped and nicked one of the brake lines over the rear axle and, well, it is a front to back 1 piece line so I replaced it.

5. Two Water Pumps. All you Oldsmobile guys will know, short shaft versus long shaft to get the oulleys to align!

6. Two master cylinders. I bought a new one and installed it just before the start of the project. There was a drip leak which I could not find. As it sat for month after month, a little puddle finally formed so I could see that the junction box connector was ¼ turn loose. A few months later I noticed rust and particles in the master cylinder. I had replaced all the lines so I was certain it was not old pieces. After months I noted that the pedal was soft and determined that the seals had decided to let fluid pass. I got a rebuild kit, purged the dirty lines to all 4 wheels, and now for maybe the first time since 1981, the brakes are functioning optimally.

7. Two sets of pulleys. Getting the crank pulleys to properly align with the Alternator, Water Pump and power steering, without A/C was a challenge; The Olds forum really helped me to get the tricky brackets and pulleys.

8. Two intake gaskets. I could not get 2 of the intake bolts in. They were so crowded neither the standard bolts nor the ones Edelbrock provided could be used. Because of that, I could not torque them properly, so while I searched for bolts that would work, the gasket sealer hardened and I did not want to trust it. I bought a different head gasket that was recommended to me, from Mondello.

9. Two Transmissions. After mating it up to the engine to install, I was unable despite all my experience and efforts to get the torque convertor seated. Unsure the condition of the original TH350C, I replaced it with a BOP TH350 which had a shift kit and 2000 stall convertor.

10. Two HEI Distributors. I decided to sgo with an HEI since I had nothing. I bought it from an GBody enthusiast via a website. Even though you would like to trust car bloggers with like cars, you can’t. At the big moment of starting it for the first time in 18 months, the HEI had no spark. It was the module. I got a great deal on a new one and decided not to trust the entire old distributor. I have it for swap meets and parts.

11. Two Carbs. I bought one from LA that was “totally rebuilt and ready to run”. The accelerator pump did not work and when filling the bowl, gas was seeping out of the base. After the distributor debacle, I just decided to buy a Q-Jet from GM since numbers matching was not important to an Olds 350 engine into a Chevrolet.

12. Two accelerator Cables. First cable was wrong …an inch too short and the eyelet diameter to the linkage was far too big. Ordered the exact same number for a GBody Olds V8 and it was right, just another brand. Thanks Rock Auto!

13. Two batteries. Months of a battery tender cooked a cell, so the battery would go dead in minutes when I was trying to get it started. It did not have enough voltage, so buy a 2nd battery with probably less than 500 miles driven. This time an expensive one was bought instead of WALMART’s best. The battery tender is not plugged in anymore.

14. Two Starters. A rebuilt starter damaged in shipping but not installed for far too long after the return period. It drew too many amps while cranking and killed even the new battery in minutes. I bought a gear reduction starter to replace the 40 pound OEM type.

15. New tires mounted twice. The tires that were on it were rounded off and pretty worn, and old. They were a brand I had never heard of and I simply did not want to trust them again. I could afford to buy two at a time while I get the last details working and so I ordered Cooper Radial GTs with raised white letters (RWL) for the front. Discount Tire mounted them RWL in! It boggles my mind that when my wife got home the RWL were on the inside! So, two 40 mile round trips to get it correct once. Why on earth would you spend the extra to get RWL and then mount them inside? Why would Discount Tire default that instead of letters out? At least someone should have asked!

16. Two seats. Bench seat to buckets. I have S-10 seats that are very nice and the driver’s is 6 way power. I have 2 brackets to be welded for each seat.

17. Two shifters. I bought a really nice console and shifter, but it is for the S10 and an OD transmission, so I thought it would be nice to get the right 1980 shifter. Another experience with an enthusiast without ethics. I was sent a rusty piece of crap with a broken T Bar handle. I have kept it for reference but I am pretty sure I can get the S-10 one to work right…with the correct length cable.

I am still not driving it but it has made me more and more ready to hear it again and drive it again. I even find myself buying two of things now. The list of two’s is not done yet…It must have dual exhausts and two more rear tires and then I will take WA highway 2E for a nice adventure. Sure wish there was an Olds mechanic nearer so I could get whatever is not working right to get it started fixed. It needs to run, I need to drive it, The indoor weather is coming ....grrrrrrrrrrr!

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Really the only thing you should ever need two of is back tires. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor