The Volkswagen's journey

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
We inherited an 83 Caballero and somebody insisted that the Caballero was that cute convertible Volkswagen made in the 80s (Cabriolet) so we jokingly refer to the Caballero as a Volkswagen frequently. There have been a lot of questionable choices made over the years and the goal is to have something reliable that could be a daily driver, something to grab a couple of bags of mulch with, something to cruise on a weekend. There's a fair bit of interior missing or mismatched, but fixing the interior is not high on the priority list. When we got the machine, there was already a 454 installed and it was running and driving. The very thin file of records include receipts for things like "install engine" and "install transmission" so learning the mechanicals is an as we go process.

On the first, short test drive, the stock V6 radiator showed that it was not up to the task of cooling a big block (it might have worked 1,000 miles north of us where the car used to live), so radiator replacement became job one. I bought a Cold Case radiator and planned to keep the stock shroud and fan. I got busy with work so someone else put in the radiator and added electric fans. They also played with the timing and Sniper EFI to the point the car no longer ran. After a couple of weeks I found the actual ignition issue (i've never seen the button melted out of a rotor cap) and got the car running again and took it for another short test ride. Where it overheated again.

I'm old enough and have driven enough crappy cars to know that turning on the heat full blast can help cool down an overheating car. But there was neither heat nor full blast coming from the dash. So to solve the overheating, I loaded the parts canon and; replaced the water pump (old one was fine), replaced the thermostat (old one 160, new one 195), replaced the wimpy electric fans (that were both turning on and off at 200) with a Flex a Lite setup that will be controlled by the Sniper, and flushed the cooling system. Flushing it just revealed how nasty it was (variable displacement cooling system?) and currently there is a quart of Thermocure floating thru the system. Just knocking the rust out of the heater hose and heater core got coolant flowing thru there again. And while I was staring at wiring under the hood yesterday I wondered what this connector went to and what that connector went to and why 1 was male and 1 female so the fan works now also.

Haven't been on a test ride yet with the new fans and shroud and hopefully clean coolant passages, but I did get to watch the temp gauge climb to 199 and then go back to 198 (and hold) when I turned on one fan so I have hope. The reason there was no test ride over the weekend is that there is currently no front end. I bought shocks and springs because the 40 year old V6 springs were not doing a great job of keeping the big block off the bump stops and I'm pretty sure the air lines on air shocks shouldn't have shock oil in them. Of course, once I got the front springs out there was no point putting it back together with the existing tie rods, ball joints, sway bar and suspension bushings. The ball joints actually looked good so I didn't order them in advance, but even the best looking ones had boots brittle enough that they shredded when I poked them with my finger.

Attachments

• PXL_20231224_152606278.jpg
    PXL_20231224_152606278.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20231123_153546438.jpg
    PXL_20231123_153546438.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
Reactions: 1 users

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Another weekend of work on the Caballero, and it was frustrating. I managed to make up 2 weatherpack connections for the electric fans and it feels like that's all I really got done. The lower control arms that needed new bushings and ball joints fought me every step of the way, I couldn't get the upper control arms bolted back in without a second pair of hands, and I'm pretty sure I put the sway bar back in upside down. But, cleaning the sway bar and lower control arms and rebuilding them with some spray paint did make them look 105% better. I've got the new bushings installed in one lower control arm and the ball joints are in the freezer so hopefully they shrink up enough that I can press them in. And we ran the motor for about 30 minutes both days, one fan will keep it around 205 and the second fan will get it back to 200 so I think as long as we haven't already damaged something we may be getting to a good point with the cooling system.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
that is the most clogged heater hose i have ever seen i have used a hose and flushed out heater cores before remove both hoses flush one heater hose then the other go back and forth to get as much crud out as you can hopefully the heater core won;t leak after that also might be a good idea to flush the engine out with a hose with the rad and thermostat not hooked up wouldn;t want all that crud clogging the new rad

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Actually had a brand new rotor disassemble itself during an installation. The contact strip is held in place by a small plastic cap that is glued in place and whoever applied the glue cheaped out and only used daubs instead a continous strip so apart it fell. My indie shop guy was in total disbelief until I brought the corpse in for him to ogle. Went for a warranty claim, brand new, never spun in anger, duh. and had another one brought in as a replacement.

The cap contact is some kind of carbon material and they do wear down over time. That rotor would go into the long weekend emergency stash jic; a points file would clean up the electrical marks and a little judicious tweaking of the strip would get it sitting up higher for better contact. I have a couple of used caps that I would personally pair that rotor with were I in the middle of nowhere and the only two buildings at the crossroads were a bar and a church; both in the same strip mall.

Nick

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Suspension progress made. All 4 shocks and springs replaced, new front control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings and links. That gained us 3" of lift in the front and 1" in the back, the car now sits level but most importantly I was able to drive without the tires rubbing or dragging the exhaust across anything. I rigged up a little device to measure the toe in, and it makes a handy little tool shelve also.

Unfortunately, I looked at the wiring under the hood...why is there a green wire spliced to a green wire spliced to another green wire all within 12". And I really like the 2 red wires from different circuits
1000001652.jpg
spliced together with a random piece of metal and taped over.

Reactions: 1 user

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat....
The day started with electrical, giving control of the electric fans to the sniper efi, cleaning up some of the crap so we could go for a ride. Wanted to get some heat in the motor again before flushing the radiator and filling it with antifreeze.
The day ended with a busted transmission cooler, but it didn't overheat. So now we play the waiting game for a warranty exchange on the radiator.

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Got any pics of this VW?
PXL_20240114_161052149.jpg
Here he is in his stance nation pose after the new front springs, no shims on the control arms. PXL_20240113_150016438.jpg
Looking down the Captains side at the pile of parts I started with. PXL_20240113_150002284.jpg
And the drinkers side with all it's parts.
PXL_20240115_223417820.jpg
And where he started throwing up blood.

Podagrower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Looks like a solid car
It is straight and solid, although not level. Drinkers side is about 1/2" lower than the captains side. Hopefully the new body mount bushings will correct at least some of that.
It's definitely been rode hard and put away wet, it's on it's third motor and second transmission (that we know of). One of the previous motors had a bad front main seal by the looks of things. It's way too good to be left to rot, way not good enough to be a show car. Fun, reliable weekend cruiser with potential daily driver duties is the goal.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor