Third Gen Camaro Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ok so im still looking for a project car and checking everyday for a Monte but cant find any i like. Anyways i came across a 1986 Camaro Sport coupe. Has Ttops, 305 V8 with a 4bbl No AC, Power windows and power trunk and automatic trans with Overdrive ( im guessing its the 700r4?). I went to check it out today and it didnt look too bad. Started up and ran nice, interior was really clean. Things that caught my eye was there was a spot of rust on the driver side fender and on the passenger side it was starting to bubble up, also the guy said the fan for the rad wouldnt kick on anymore automatically so they wired in a switch to turn it on. Looks like someone wanted to do a two tone paint job and use what looks like bed liner on the side of the car on both sides to give it that grey and black color. The shocks for the Hatch wouldnt hold it up anymore. That was basically all i could see what was wrong with it. I looked underneath and it looked extremely clean. It has the rust check sticker on the windshield and you can tell underneath and in the engine bay of were the spray was. The Frame rails looked mint and same with the floor. Here are some pics of it. Tell me what you guys think. He asking 2500 obo.
Pics are pretty big so ill try to upload them later Heres a link to the car http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic ... Z459906008

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
I like 3rd gen camaro's, if I were to buy one the only things I want is a clean body and a stick. When they have bad paint or body damage they're the ugliest cars ever.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Grandprixpaul said:
Look in detroit craigslist . There is a ton of g-bodys for sale right now.
Im in Canada so detriot is pretty far :rofl: Yeah well it would need a paint job as it looks to be the original paint

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I've had a few, and they have their place.

BAD:
1) Garbage frame and Unibody construction
2) Garbage rear end
3) Garbage transmissions

GOOD:
1) Very cheap
2) Very plentiful
3) They dont hold their value (Good if youre a buyer, bad if youre a seller).

I have a buddy that has a 1984 Trans Am HO, with all the options. He bought it from the 2nd owner (it was her Father's car new). Low mileage, very tight, no rust, well cared for. 305/700R4, posi, suspsension package, etc etc. He bought it for $700.

If I were to do it again, I would spend $5000 and spend it on one that was built to the nines. Either with an LT1 or an LS1, with UMI or Spohn suspension.

If your budget its that low, spend it on something that is 100% rust free. Be extremely picky. And spend it on a non-base model, Z28, IROC, IROC-Z, Trans AM, or Formula. They will hold their value better.

Flamesuit On!
In my opinion, no third gen is worth more than $5000. lol

the car you have listed is very overpriced.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
fbodys are cheap sports options, emphasis on the cheap and exaggeration on the sports especially when talking about the 80's and early 90's ones. the newer ones def have some giddy up but the bodies and suspension of them are still creaky and cheap

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
Pass. At least get a IROC or Z-28 if you are going 3rd generation. That coupe has a real weak 305. The only 4 barrel you should be looking for is a HO if you go they route.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Peter said:
exaggeration on the sports especially when talking about the 80's and early 90's ones. the

I disagree. The Gbody feels like driving a shoebox, compared to the Fbody.

They were cheap, and very "flex-prone", but they like corners.

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
i have a 1986 Camaro sport coupe 2.8 V6 5 speed. fun car. really check around the strut towers, floors, spare tire area, and around where the rear of the fenders bolt up and the back side of the rocker boxes you can get front fenders pretty cheap if there really bad.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well i want to stand out a bit. I know everyone has an Iroc and you dont see many of these Sports coupes around. Im not planning on racing this or autocrossing it, i just want a nice fun cruiser for the summer. Just like when i bought my Monte. I went for the Sports coupe instead of the SS because everywhere i went there was an SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor