TV Cable Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
So I got my tv cable in and stuff and I got the car moving but I'm having issues with my what I hope to be cable. I keep tightening it and it shifts fine at light throttle, not hard or anything but once you get it any throttle at all it seems like the transmission hesitates and then it will slip while shifting then hit the next day. Is this a too loose symptom because if so I think they may have sent the wrong cable again because I'm almost out of adjustment. Just how tight should that cable be with the throttle close, I heard its suppose to be taunt but not super tight. thanks for any info in advance.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
It's more than a tight/loose thing. Proper geometry is key so that you have a linear relationship between the throttle angle and the TV plunger position in the valve body.

tec2.jpg

What carb/throttle body are you using and what TV cable and brackets are you using?

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
I'm using a 5.3 truck engine witg truck intake manifold using the bowtie overdrives vortec tv cable brackets and cable for the 700r4

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
I'd suggest calling their tech line and have them walk you through the setup and adjustment.

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
They will just tell me to do is hook up a pressure gauge and I don't have access to that, I'm looking for more of a symptoms of too tight or to loose or if it's just the engine is to much for the transmission

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I understand using what you have but why not use the the 4l60e or 4l65e and let the pcm control it? How is the 5.3 being controlled? i understand trying to adapt a older trans with it especially if it's built but the tv cable was a pain imo...

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
thats what was in the car when i bought it and the trans controls have already been pulled from the computer wiring harness. I completely agree that the tv cable is a pain

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
You're not doing yourself any favors by assuming the advice Bowtie Overdrives will provide is worthless because you can't check line pressure. First, checking pressure only requires a 300 psi gauge and a hose with a 1/8 NPT male fitting. Not hard to get a hold of. Second, it is imperative that this system is properly installed and adjusted as the life of the transmission desperately depends on it. As much as you're trying to avoid it, you need to be a bit more 'scientific' in your approach.

Imagine someone building an engine and they say that it won't rotate with the main and rod caps torqued. They don't want to measure anything because they don't have access to mics so they just want advice on how to get it to turn. Same idea here.

Assuming the transmission is currently healthy, it can handle a decent engine. If you do not want to go the pressure gauge route, there's one other way that you can dial in the adjustment but it would be easier with a couple people. You can remove the transmission pan to get a visual on the TV valve plunger. Then you can make adjustments ensuring that the plunger position matches throttle position.

Take a look at this well written article for more insight: http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
ITh4n4tosI said:
So I got my tv cable in and stuff and I got the car moving but I'm having issues with my what I hope to be cable. I keep tightening it and it shifts fine at light throttle, not hard or anything but once you get it any throttle at all it seems like the transmission hesitates and then it will slip while shifting then hit the next day. Is this a too loose symptom because if so I think they may have sent the wrong cable again because I'm almost out of adjustment. Just how tight should that cable be with the throttle close, I heard its suppose to be taunt but not super tight. thanks for any info in advance.

You mentioned you have the bracket for the 700r4. That is the transmission you have in the car correct? I only ask because if you had a 2004r that would be a different bracket with different geometry. It sounds like bad geometry if its ok at one throttle level and not the next. My other advice is don't drive that thing another 50 yards until you have that worked out. You will smoke that transmission in-no-time!

ITh4n4tosI

Greasemonkey
Nov 23, 2013
Its definately a 700r4, and its hard to figure it out without driving it so yeah, if I run out of adjusting thread and its still not good then Idk what I'm gonna do. I just wasn't sure if I could be applying to much power to the transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor