Vapor casnister ?? Help

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I have 3.8 v6 . 87 limited would it still work

All the 80's G bodies use the same valveless 2 port vapor can. Just the external valves are different.

Reactions: 1 user

87gbodydanny

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2023
Las Vegas
This is mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
How do you when these vapor canisters go bad ?

Either the foam breaks down allowing charcoal into the engine or the charcoal becomes saturated with fuel from overfilling the gas tank.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Actually I need to correct it, there is 4, 2 on each side with their own built in valves on top. Checked it in the garage just a little bit ago.

80 and 81 seem to be the oddball years for 80's G bodies. Later on most G bodies use the valveless 2 port cans which are now discontined but the more complex cans with integral valves are still being reproduced..

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
80 and 81 seem to be the oddball years for 80's G bodies. Later on most G bodies use the valveless 2 port cans which are now discontined but the more complex cans with integral valves are still being produced..
Not to get into the weeds, but the 80-81 ain't technically G-bodies, so, both can be true... :)

I BELIEVE there's a version on some 88 FWD Cutlass, as well as 89-97. Has 2 ports on them. VC120 at Auto Zone. They have a tank, and purge connection. Didn't do much research on it, but apparently it ends up with a canister that looks similar to the 622. The bottom is sorta capped off but there's a gap to allow air in/out on the sides near the bottom but doesn't use a filter at the bottom. MIGHT be a good alternative? I don't know what size it is, though. It appears like it might work, but no idea. Ain't super cheap though. From some of the pics it looks like it has RP (Rochester Products) logo on the top. Hmmm.

1711744795594.png

There's a 3-port Dorman version of ACDelco 215-153 3 port version. There's a vent and a purge and tank connection on it. Might work for something. Not super expensive.

1711745358360.png

I believe also that some of these jokers with 3 ports and such, some of them can be had fairly CHEAP, and maybe disemboweled to supply new parts (inner carbon retainers and carbon chunks) to transfer to your old shell. It's just if you can get the bottom off of the 622 canister. By the time you buy some carbon and either find/make new filter retainer sponges, you may pay a couple bucks more for everything you need. I don't know. Just throwing spaghetti.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor