Vibration!

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
I have a really heavy vibration going about 50 mph, the car is lowered on 2 inch drop springs and new shocks, I put my old set of tires on and it still vibrates, the ujoints seem to be good, any ideas? Feels like it’s coming from the rear and I feel it in my seat.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Is it rpm related? Drive 50 and switch to neutral or the next lowest gear to change rpm.
Most vibration comes from out of round tires. You did say you swapped tires. So no change? Check tires for runout.
Is it a fast vibration. Possibly driveshaft or universal joint angle. Lift car by rear axle, remove wheels and drums. Reinstall lug nuts. Spin up axles to 50mph. Do not touch brakes after. Switch to neutral and kill engine and let axles stop before switching to Park.

Reactions: 1 users

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
Is it rpm related? Drive 50 and switch to neutral or the next lowest gear to change rpm.
Most vibration comes from out of round tires. You did say you swapped tires. So no change? Check tires for runout.
Is it a fast vibration. Possibly driveshaft or universal joint angle. Lift car by rear axle, remove wheels and drums. Reinstall lug nuts. Spin up axles to 50mph. Do not touch brakes after. Switch to neutral and kill engine and let axles stop before switching to Park.
Ok so it’s not the wheels or tires. And I had wheel spacers on the rear 1/2 inch and I took them off and drove it. The vibration is much better but it’s still there. When I shift it in to neutral while it’s vibrating it goes away. What does that mean?

Irishspring46

Greasemonkey
Sep 14, 2022
That could be another possibilty along with the pinion angle being off.
The pinion angle looks to be really good actually. Goes slightly downwards. The transmission mounts are tight also I just checked them. I jacked up the rear and my passenger tire spins round perfect the driver side ever so slightly doesn’t spin perfectly round but I don’t think it’s enough to cause that vibration and even if it was it still should vibrate when I’m driving down the road and put it in neutral, but it doesn’t. The vibration goes away when I put it in neutral going like 40. Really sounds like an unbalanced driveshaft right? I looked at the driveshaft and there are weights on it I’m not sure how it would loose it’s balance

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Grabbed my '81 CSM & it list the for the A body (G) coupe & sedan to have a transmission angle of 3/4 of a degree & the differental having an angle of 1 1/4 of a degree. It also brings up the angle change between the long & short control arms. There's a whole bunch in the prop shaft section that goes over related issues, methods to test & take care of the causes. There could be a related issue to the drop springs but that's just a trouble shooting thing to eliminate it. Might be worth it to swap back to stock if other possibilites are ruled out. It might just be the stock control arms be the right ones for stock but not for the lowered 2" ones but I might just rule that out since most of our cars springs are the originals & seems like they're lower than the lowering springs. As my disclaimer is this is just my theory of what it is & might be an idea od other places to look at.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
My driver side front wheel has a tiny bit of play in the wheel bearing. Think that’s it?
Then might just pass on what I just posted for now & look at it might be a bad bearing, axle has excessive wear at the bearing contact. But again theory. Might be best to spend the day starting from the simple you haven't checked out yet the work you way up to ensure things are ruled out.

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
. Really sounds like an unbalanced driveshaft right? I looked at the driveshaft and there are weights on it I’m not sure how it would loose it’s balance
Could be the sound damping material inside the shaft decomposing and moving around....maybe

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor