Vibration!

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Could be the sound damping material inside the shaft decomposing and moving around....maybe
That's a thing? I knew of the fiberglass wrapped truck driveshafts but I had no idea these had anything inside.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
While I haven’t cut a Gbody driveshaft in two, it’s pretty typical for GM to use some sort of a cardboard type material inside for sound dampening. Couple old timers I worked with some years back told of chasing a vibration which turned out to be loose material inside the driveline so I threw it out there for consideration

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
While I haven’t cut a Gbody driveshaft in two, it’s pretty typical for GM to use some sort of a cardboard type material inside for sound dampening. Couple old timers I worked with some years back told of chasing a vibration which turned out to be loose material inside the driveline so I threw it out there for consideration
Brilliant, thanks for sharing! That's a source that I believe very few of us would think of. On a side note, the 3 GM truck/Suburban shafts I've cut open were completely empty, leading to my assumption.

• Agree

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I've ripped 2 stock shafts apart over my G-body years. Neither of mine had any sort of packing where I twisted them in half.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sounds like maybe they stopped by the era of G bodies

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Pull your driveshaft to see if you have a froze up u-joint

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds like maybe they stopped by the era of G bodies
Maybe. But cardboard like material has been found in older Corvette shafts, Ford truck shafts, GT-R shafts, etc., so it certainly was a "thing" for NVH considerations.

I can't say first-hand about G-body shafts, as I've never had to cut into a G-body driveshaft. And none of my 307s won't twist one apart, so...

This is from a 2010 GM truck, 6.2L, which blew out at 110mph. And that is why the engineers put speed limiters on these things. I think the truck was tuned taking out the speed limiter, and 100+ mph was over the critical speed limit for the shaft. Shaft go BOOM!

full

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Maybe he should cut his shaft in 2 and see if the deadening material is coming apart and then reweld it while burning the material inside.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor