Vortec heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and they have 4 bolts on each side to install the intake, there are no center bolts on the intake on a vortec

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
jrm81bu said:
maddog20_20 said:
TeezySupreme said:
Alright, thank you all but how do you Id vortec heads?

96-99 truck engines. The casting numbers end with 906 or 062. So when you open the hood of a 2000 or newer chevy pickup and see "vortec" on the engine cover and see aluminum heads, that is a whole different critter.

Not 100%. The 1st gen Vortec stayed in production til 2002. 2000+ they can still be found in 3/4 and 1 ton vans and some trucks.

Ok, So if i get them off of a newer model truck would it matter the model engine i put them on?

Pennsy86Montessguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2010
Eastern Penn's Woods
You can identify them by the sawtooth casting marks on the front of the heads as well.

The old camelhump heads were also 64cc chambers I believe, damn good heads, but most of them didn't have the accesory holes in them.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
maddog20_20 said:
as long as they are 906 or 062 casting they will go on just about any SBC - on a 400 the steam holes would have to be drilled

Alright thanks im going to pull-a-part tomorrow but lol I got confused ok what cars or trucks usually ran these??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Pennsy86Montessguy said:
You can identify them by the sawtooth casting marks on the front of the heads as well.

the 062 has those markings on each end of the head....the 906 does not

cdg1984

G-Body Guru
Oct 18, 2009
Evansville IN
maddog20_20 said:
cdg1984 said:
If you cant find any vortec's to get rebuilt, check for some double humps. Not as good as vortecs, but theyre pretty affordable. I just found a set on craigslist with 2.02 in and 1.60 exh completley rebuilt and decked to 57cc for 300 bux. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Better check the exhaust seats on those - if they haven't been changed I don't think they won't live long on unleaded fuel.

He said they were completley rebuilt and ready to bolt on, so I can assume. Thanks for the tip tho, you never just want to assume...

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
Thread Jack!! Lol, I'm thinkin about some vortec heads... what all do I need though? I know I need heads obviously, and a new intake. Read somewhere that I need different rockers, if so....what kind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor