W-25 bolt on scoops, for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Re: W-30 bolt on scoops, for sale?

Id put them on my cutlass. Be nice if someone made the w30 style of hood in steel. Id buy one for sure!

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Re: W-30 bolt on scoops, for sale?

Might want to change the title to W25 hood to curtail misinformation.
W30 is a driveline performance option.
W25 is air induction that came on 70-72 W45, W31 and W30 optioned F85/ 442 and Cutlass and also came on plain 442 and Cutlasses.

The more I look at these, the more I think they look too narrow. I wonder if they would look better if they were connected like the 69 HO cars were? I don't like the idea of making these wider because then they would extend beyond the feature line on the hood running back from the headlight. I also thought about making them taller, but that would likely make them look even narrower. :?:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
As is, I think the center moulding on the hood is what makes them look a little off...

I think connecting them at the back like the '69 h/o scoop would look great.
It'd also make it simpler to make it functional, as well as more effective.
Mock up a piece of poster board and see how it looks!

Blake442 said:
As is, I think the center moulding on the hood is what makes them look a little off...

I think connecting them at the back like the '69 h/o scoop would look great.
It'd also make it simpler to make it functional, as well as more effective.
Mock up a piece of poster board and see how it looks!
I thought too that the molding was throwing it off. But I was short on time, it was getting dark. I'll see if I can get back to my buddies house to get the pics, he said I could have it for a few days if I wanted. Maybe I'll do that so I have time to cover the molding and even remove the header ornament.
The scoop(s) may be more sellable if it adds clearance under the hood and works better with a traditional air cleaner.???
I am in the middle of detailing a nephews Trans Am so I have something to drive to Woodward Dream Cruise in a couple weeks :D These scoops are on the back burner until that is done.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
xitabl442 said:
The more I look at these, the more I think they look too narrow. I wonder if they would look better if they were connected like the 69 HO cars were?
That would be cool.
There is a member here that has a '69 H/O hood scoop on his '87? Cutlass.

FE3XClone had on his '87, removed it due to distaste:

Attachments

• Copy2of101_5990.jpg
    Copy2of101_5990.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 588
  • hood1.jpg
    hood1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2,979
I thought about the 69HO scoop originally, but thought it was too narrow and I didn't like the point in the back. I even considered modifying one, but hought that would look like the Cyclone scoop from back then.
Should I leave the molding ridge on like the W-40 scoop? I have a peice of aluminum to use as a molding down the middle of my hood if the scoops aren't married.
I think if two purists like the idea, it will be a winner! Thanks Blake442 and 88hurstolds for your input.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
It all boils down to what you like, everyone is going to have an opinion that differs in varying degrees.
I applaud you on coming this far, not many doing fab work now-a-days...

Personally I don't like the center trim on the H/O's, I would rather see the middle of Cutlass hoods that have any kind of scoop/bump or whatever without the center trim.
The FE3X scoop is the best IMO.

Your right, the original '69 is too narrow for a G-body hood.
If you were to connect the two scoops using your style to achieve a '69 look you would have to remove rear 1/4 length of the scoops and then from there only connect the rear 1/4 of them up to the center of the hood if that makes sense (starting at the middle of the hood and going back 3/4 back the length of the hood leaving the rear 1/4 of the hood stock).
That would simulate the '69 scoop more and allow you to run a functional induction system.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Should I leave the molding ridge on like the W-40 scoop? I have a piece of aluminum to use as a molding down the middle of my hood if the scoops aren't married.

I like it with the trim in the center , then again that's how i did it when i designed my templates.(of course that is all they are right now)

i think it would be cool if you could fashion some way to open and close the scoops almost like a throttle with some dial hooked up in the car

Attachments

• 1129131356a.jpg
    1129131356a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 637

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I think it looks good as is, but I am looking forward to your finished design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor