Wagon fuel tank sending unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenderbender

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
I'm in the process of replacing the fuel tank in my 1979 Chevy Malibu Wagon. When I removed the fuel tank I found the sending unit/pick up to be very rusty. I'm having a little trouble finding a new one. It seems that the unit for the wagons is different? Is this true and does anyone know where one for a wagon cane be found or the part number for one? Thanks in advance!!!

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Try rockauto.com

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The wiper is the same, but the float and pickup tube are different.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
No, wagon tanks are deeper than elcamino, coupe, and sedan tanks. Us wagon guys are on our own.

I also did some more digging and didn't find much. The closest thing being the tank it's self.

Sorry I couldn't help.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
The fuel tank is one of the easiest things to get for these cars. Link below to Rock Auto. Two choices, one with filler neck, one without. I'd highly recommend buying the one with the neck installed for the $11.00 extra. Both come with the lock ring and O-Ring seal.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=l27butqtk8i1jjn32kike6q247

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # GM7A Lock Ring Kit Included
w/o Filler Neck; 21-1/2" x 24" x 14-1/8"; Wagon (Only 4 Remaining)

$110.79

SPECTRA PREMIUM / COOLING DEPOT Part # GM704A Lock Ring Kit Included One of our most popular parts
w/ Filler Neck; 21-1/2" x 24" x 14-1/8"; Wagon

$121.79

Attachments

• G-Body Fuel Tank w-Fill Neck.jpg
    G-Body Fuel Tank w-Fill Neck.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,030

Fenderbender

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
I ordered the tank with the filler neck last week and I think that I will have it tomorrow. I removed the tank from the wagon today to find that the sending unit is very rusty and that the owner before me installed what looks like a boat style fuel level sending unit next to the factory fuel pick up unit. I may have to do the same thing to the new tank as the fuel sending unit on the factory unit does not work. It looks like the owner before me soldered a ring onto the tank so that the boat style sending unit could be installed. Right now I plan on doing the same.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I should probably do something about mine. It sort of works. It stays pegged at full for a few days. The goes from full to empty in about a day.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
If you are crafty enough, you can take the sweeper part, from a 2door, and put out on the wagon assembly. I have done it and it works. Just a thought. when I get to work, I an going to look for the wagon sender. I swear I seen one available.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I just searched too, no go. You know GM is pretty good about one-size-fits-all thingies and I'm pretty sure the fuel tank opening for the sending unit is the same for all. So I wonder if a unit from, say, a B body or older A body might have the same dimensions. I know the wagon tank is deep, but there are lots of other models that may be similar. Getting the measurements would be the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor