Was rear ended today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnson350

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2013
Florida, USA
Sorry to hear, that must suck! At least everyone is ok.

This kinda stuff always has me worried and hoping people are paying attention while driving around me. If my Buick gets totalled it'll be hard to find another around here.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If you want to keep it and get it fixed, try to avoid a salvage title if at all possible. In many states ( including mine) you can not sell a salvage titled car to anyone other than a dealer or a salvage yard. When mine got hit, I dug into the statutes and found that to total a vehicle here the repair costs needed to be more than 65% of the appraised value ( not including any Paint work involved). I took my complaint up to the supervisor level at the ins company, and they didn't even know the law! If you get into a hassle with the ins co, do a little research.

I think in Ohio the total loss threshhold is set by the Insurance Co. I know Progressive will go up to 100%, but a local insurance adjuster just told me the other day that their's was lowered to 75%. It's your property and they can't take it without a fair settlement. I would try to keep a clear title, especially since you weren't at fault. If it is your insurance company then you may not have a choice on the salvage title.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
she has Great Northern insurance Co. i was on the phone with them today. they are sending a appraiser tomorrow and they are paying for a rental car. but the adjuster was asking me if there was a shop i wanted it taken too, to get fixed so they might be willing to fix it... and they still knew that the frame was damage. That would be awsome.

anyone here have insurance through Great Northern ?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Sorry dude i got State Farm.

Not to jump in but they shouldnt be asking at all what shop you wanna take it too and here in Missouri i know for a fact thats against the law for them to ask that. They should just write the check give it to you and you should be able to do with it what you please.

Where is your car at? I know a guy with a frame rack! :D Glad to hear they are willing to save it.
Make sure you double check the motor mounts, a hit like that could wipe them out. Especially since you said it popped out of gear.
Requiring you to take it to a shop of their choice is called "steering" and is illegal. Asking you for your preferred shop is not, and if they like the shop, even better.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
elm grove wv. where i live now
i didn't tell them a shop, mainly i haven't really encountered a shop i trusted yet. there just aren't many shops around that do older cars. the shops i see today just slap stuff together to get things done. i don't want that, i want it done the correct way. i mean i spent a huge chunk of money to get the knowledge and skills to fix it the right way myself. but the only problem with that is, i need tools. i just cant fix everything with a $10 set of tools from ACE hardware.

on a side note. some one the next street over has a beautiful white gbody ( i believe it was a cutlass, i only got a brief glimpse. haven't got to meet them yet, any one on here local?

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Where is your car at? I know a guy with a frame rack! :D
. i bet i know some one too :D if its totaled its going back home to be fixed or donated for my other car(this option is very unlikely) i would be ashamed of myself for cutting up this car.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
got my rental car today. a 2014 ford focus platinum hatch back. i have to admit i have always wanted a cool hatch and, and i like this car, but i would defiantly want the 6 speed st model in black though. this little car is surprising. the sound system is freaking awesome for a stock stereo. that little ecoboost engine is pretty freaking peppy for what it is to. i actually like a ford. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140822_184857179_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140822_184857179_HDR.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 317

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Well the car was officially deemed a total loss today. I get to find out tomorrow just how much I'm being screwed over on my car. I swear i must not be allowed to own anything nice with out something going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor