wftermarket cam?timeing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
ok so i have a sbc 350 in my 79 cutty it has 305 heads on it and the guy i got it form said it had a cam but dident kno anything bout the cam or even what kind it is.my prob is i have set the times to where it should be with a stock cam and well it just aint right sum days she runs grate till u get on it and it just dont get up even like a fully stock 350 bad days it takes for ever to start and dam near wont go down the road.is this just cuz the timing is not right for the cam.also i found out it had a cam after i got the motor and got it in and running.then found out it even had a cam i kew it was a fully re built motor and had benn started on a stand.i found out it had a cam and asked the guy if it went tho a cam brake in and he said he wasint sure couldent rember so im worndering if thats whats makeing the sound coming out of it.heres a like to a vid of it running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZCQvs6U ... e=youtu.be .i had a post asking for help on the sound b4 and eveyone was telling me to look at my tc and 2 of the 3 tc bolts where broke and have had time to go out in mess with it so i was just worndering is that sound could be form the cam if it wasint broke in right?

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
How are you setting your timing? Usually to be conservative I set timing at 32-34 degrees at 3k Rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected. But I typically like 36-38 degrees for more performance engines.

As for the noise. What noise are your talking about. It is the whine it has when you start to rev it up, or the exhaust leak while idling?.....I would check powersteering fluid to be sure its full. Then tighten you header bolts. Those things always loosen up so I use loctite.

Just to eliminate any noise from your alternator and powersteering I would disconnect your belts and start it up like that.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
hurst1979olds said:
How are you setting your timing? Usually to be conservative I set timing at 32-34 degrees at 3k Rpm with the vacuum advance disconnected. But I typically like 36-38 degrees for more performance engines.

As for the noise. What noise are your talking about. It is the whine it has when you start to rev it up, or the exhaust leak while idling?.....I would check powersteering fluid to be sure its full. Then tighten you header bolts. Those things always loosen up so I use loctite.

Just to eliminate any noise from your alternator and powersteering I would disconnect your belts and start it up like that.
well i set my timeing to 12-14 degrees btdc at idle vacuum advance disconnected when i looked up what to set it at thats what i found to set it at worng?ok the noise i had a post up 'can u name that sound' whee i was asking about it b4 there is no exhaust iv gone over that to make sure.and with the bults unhooked sounds still there.as for the header bolts when drive it in the summer i go over then ones a week to make sure just for peace of mind.the sound im takin about in the vid can be heard when in fornt of the car in the vid i dont kno if u have to turn ur sound up a little more to hear what im talkin about ill put a link in to my other post to help yall kno a little more where im a with this prob

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
hurst1979olds said:
Is it that metallic rattling sounds? Have you used a stethescope to see if you can actually pin point the sound?
yes thats the sound and no on the stethescope to me it sounds like its right in the timeing cover almost and sounds like i dont kno dam *ss spy paint cans taped to the cam almost. eveyone was pointing me to the flywheel and tc i do have a prob there with the 2 of 3 bolts that came out i havent had time to mess with it so it could just be the tc bolts. but after finding out it has a cam and dont kno if it went tho a cam brake in run was worndering if that could be whats makeing the sound?on the timeing my timeing mark only goes to 16 degrees b4 top dead center so how would i kno to get it to 32-34degrees .iv get it now about 10-12degrees btdc but i did that at ilde so do i need to redo it?

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Well i would probably leave the timing were it is. Most of the engines I build has a timing scale on the balancer.

If you want to eleminate the sound coming from the torque converter. Just unbolt it and slide it back towards the pump and start the engine back up. If its still making that noise then its definetally not the converter.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
hurst1979olds said:
Well i would probably leave the timing were it is. Most of the engines I build has a timing scale on the balancer.

If you want to eleminate the sound coming from the torque converter. Just unbolt it and slide it back towards the pump and start the engine back up. If its still making that noise then its definetally not the converter.
should i at lest set the timeing at 3000 rpms and not at idle?

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
hurst1979olds said:
Nah, I would probably just leave it were it is for now.
alright well ima go out now and start getting the rear springs out so i can start buildin my air ride brackets so ill also un hook the tc slid it back and start it up and see where im at and ill let u kno. thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor