jonnyslick said:
Roll on paint job?

:roll:
What do u mean roll on, i just think personally it would look better darker

im really thinking like a dark purple like the GTO in ***

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Your on the right trail with the roll on paint job. I'm half finished with my 300 dollar mustang 2 beater and I honestly looks better then the top of the line Maaco job I had done on my Trans Am. The sanding isn't that bad as long as you keep the paint thin, and it shines like a mirror. Just make sure it doesn't rain before the paint dries otherwise it looks like your car has acne lol. Personally I'd go black on the sides and gold ontop like a Hurst Olds. Just paint the top first and spray can the sides up to your tape marks. Then switch to black and roll it out. So you keep crisp lines. Check out Rickwrench.com and see how he did his racing stripes on the corvair. Do the two tone the same way. Good luck man

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
id love to go black but its such a b*tch to clean that i really dont wanna bother with it. This car will see alot of gravel driving but id still like to take it out on sunday night cruise when i want it to look good. thats the only reason thats keeping me from going black. i have a black car already and everytime i wash it 10 mins later its dirty again.

but any other good color combinations that you guys think will look good?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Just go to your local paint supply shop and buy Nason synthetic enamel. It is not very expensive and can be gun sprayed. That being said, White will be your best option if you are not going full bore on body work. It will show far fewer flaws than any other color. BTW, if it were my car, it would be painted base/clear in the darkest black I could find. Either that, or the dark blue I just painted my Cutlass with. (See build thread) Oh, and yes. It IS impossible to keep clean and will show off even the most minor of flaws in the body. If you plan on months of body work to get it right, black is the best color. If you have a life, go with white.

I will also add that it may be possible to spray the thinned rustoleum with a cheap gun instead and have far less sanding to do in the end. I bought a "throwaway" gun from Harbor Freight for $15 a few months back. It's not something I would normally paint a car with (I have a $250 Devilbliss JGA for that), but it would be infinitely better than a roller and brush!

vladj

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
i will take my time with body work thats not a big deal. and i really dont think older cars look good in white. i like the orange but i just dont know how it will look on the cutlass or maybe a red or a dark blue.

thats the thing i really cant decide on a color at all. this is the hardest part of the project.

also i cant spray paint it because i don't have a clean place to do it.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
OD green ... you almost have to try and mess up flat colors

gator2206

Apprentice
Feb 22, 2009
Zanesville,Ohio
you could paint it like this but the gold is extremely non cost effective
gators_pics1189.jpg

or this
[/img]
gators_pics1179.jpg

well actually I don't think the gold on the 79 H/O or the 80 442 is all that expensive as they don't use the real H/O firefrost gold

Attachments

• 100_1610.jpg
    100_1610.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 148

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
humm

thing i dont see how you do is... corners and around lights, and nucks an cranies... even if you pull out the brush dont think that would look good..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor