What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd do all kinds of stuff I'm not proud of for a 50% discount on tires.

So the dustless blaster just isn't playing ball with my pressure washer. Maybe it's the altitude? I tried using gravity to my advantage by attaching the hose directly to a funnel and filling that with sand. It took a few gulps but wouldn't consistently draw from it. When it did it was insanely effective, and it does make one helluva mess, but it wouldn't consistently draw so I eventually bailed on it and whipped out the rust mort. Before.

View attachment 235525

Seriously not bad at all, but if it's this good I know I can do even better.

View attachment 235526

Here it is in tonight's slathering of naval jelly. I'll spritz it up with some VHT chassis paint tomorrow and get those plow mounts bolted up. And if I'm feeling extra productive finish up the trailer brake controller install and 7 pin receptacle.

Edit: MrSony eat your heart out!
:cautious:
:cautious:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Have him adopt you?
they changed the discount. car has to be registered to the employee. cant bring in loose wheels either. there is a friends and family ordeal, but i think its even less than the 35. and for all i know you might have to be a blood relative lol
Bridgestone is oddly accommodating and sinister/alienating at the same time. happily walk out 18 supervisors/hr staff due to "budget issues" but then have all plant meetings about how much money they just made.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
You're moving farther north where the road salt is more of the norm.. some of you like that torture in life.

d8701097-c508-449c-a70d-0f1bda42164e_text.gif

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Just a few shots of the progress on adding a lifting winch for the movable press deck on my press

DSCN4030.JPG

DSCN4032.JPG

So the feet, you can call them trunnions if you want, were made from 1.5 inch pressed angle iron. Unlike the extruded stuff, you get a round corner instead of a sharp one. On top of them I welded two sections of light wall square tube and bridged them with the two straps that have the mounting holed for the winch chassis drilled into them. Like I mentioned sometime else, being bolted on lets me drop the winch off if I have to work on it or replace it.

DSCN4035.JPG

DSCN4036.JPG

And how it all goes together. In these pictures the subframe is ready to be burned in permanently. The winch is positioned atop it to give a better sense of how it all come together. It also lets you see how the crank arm has been extended out and away from the top frame of the press so that it can be swung without smashing knuckles on it.

DSCN4018.JPG

This is the basic crank assembly that, as delivered, bolts directly to the crankshaft on the winch that turns the cable reel.

DSCN4023.JPG

And here is the extension that i dreamed up to gain the clearance for the crank once the winch was mounted on top of it. Not so oddly enough, the thread on the crankshaft turned out to be metric, 14mm. And, of course, no one local carries 14mm coupling nuts, which is wanted I originally wanted to work with. (They are available on line) So I decided to make a coupling nut, using 14mm nuts like the two sitting beside the finished item and used a 14mm bolt as a spindle on which to stack the nuts so I could line up the flats and tack them together while still being able to turn the bolt; meaning that the threads had lined up and not gone into bind. To faciliate the welds, I chamferred the edges of the nuts where they met each other to get a deeper pass and a stronger joint. That also let me finish the welded faces down to smooth for a better final look.

DSCN4025.JPG

And this is how the crank arm assembly all goes together. To keep the arm from just sitting there and slipping when turns are applied, the stud section showing, has flats carefully ground into it to accept the squared off hole in the crank mounting tab.

Still to be done: Lacing on the lifting cable and fabricating rollers for each end to allow the cable to roll and slide as it transitions from being on the winch reel to meeting the chain yokes that were attached to the press deck lifting points made from 3/16ths angle that I welded to the rails of the press deck (Not sure if I posted pics of them; maybe when I show how the cable gets strung.)

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Just a few shots of the progress on adding a lifting winch for the movable press deck on my press

View attachment 235578

View attachment 235579

So the feet, you can call them trunnions if you want, were made from 1.5 inch pressed angle iron. Unlike the extruded stuff, you get a round corner instead of a sharp one. On top of them I welded two sections of light wall square tube and bridged them with the two straps that have the mounting holed for the winch chassis drilled into them. Like I mentioned sometime else, being bolted on lets me drop the winch off if I have to work on it or replace it.

View attachment 235580

View attachment 235581

And how it all goes together. In these pictures the subframe is ready to be burned in permanently. The winch is positioned atop it to give a better sense of how it all come together. It also lets you see how the crank arm has been extended out and away from the top frame of the press so that it can be swung without smashing knuckles on it.

View attachment 235583

This is the basic crank assembly that, as delivered, bolts directly to the crankshaft on the winch that turns the cable reel.

View attachment 235584

And here is the extension that i dreamed up to gain the clearance for the crank once the winch was mounted on top of it. Not so oddly enough, the thread on the crankshaft turned out to be metric, 14mm. And, of course, no one local carries 14mm coupling nuts, which is wanted I originally wanted to work with. (They are available on line) So I decided to make a coupling nut, using 14mm nuts like the two sitting beside the finished item and used a 14mm bolt as a spindle on which to stack the nuts so I could line up the flats and tack them together while still being able to turn the bolt; meaning that the threads had lined up and not gone into bind. To faciliate the welds, I chamferred the edges of the nuts where they met each other to get a deeper pass and a stronger joint. That also let me finish the welded faces down to smooth for a better final look.

View attachment 235585

And this is how the crank arm assembly all goes together. To keep the arm from just sitting there and slipping when turns are applied, the stud section showing, has flats carefully ground into it to accept the squared off hole in the crank mounting tab.

Still to be done: Lacing on the lifting cable and fabricating rollers for each end to allow the cable to roll and slide as it transitions from being on the winch reel to meeting the chain yokes that were attached to the press deck lifting points made from 3/16ths angle that I welded to the rails of the press deck (Not sure if I posted pics of them; maybe when I show how the cable gets strung.)

Nick
I don't want to sound too forward, but nice nuts. Making that coupler was probably cheaper as well as faster than buying one from a store.

• Haha

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
If you could find someone that also did so commercial/industrial work, they might have better luck. Rooter guys around here don't care and are only in it for the paycheck.

Call gillece and there $99 clog crusher! 😂🤣😂🤣
Have a couple of calls out to sewer jet specific companies to have them price me what it would be to try that first, while waiting on my buddy to price me for him to do it all and a price for me to use one of our machines and then have him pipe it.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Helped a fellow GTO brethen do a clutch replacement, which should help out when I need to do mine. Got the transmission out and back in pretty good time, the longest wait was actually having the guy run back home to get his one piece driveshaft since we realized how spent his carrier bearing was and the waste of putting it back together as it was. Turned out to need a good bit more of modification to get the one piece to fit
20240224_143143.jpg

20240224_114405.jpg

20240224_095021.jpg

20240224_095017.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Helped a fellow GTO brethen do a clutch replacement, which should help out when I need to do mine. Got the transmission out and back in pretty good time, the longest wait was actually having the guy run back home to get his one piece driveshaft since we realized how spent his carrier bearing was and the waste of putting it back together as it was. Turned out to need a good bit more of modification to get the one piece to fit
View attachment 235615
View attachment 235616
View attachment 235617
View attachment 235618

You need to buy that firebird and just throw a poncho 400 in it, rock it as is bad paint/primer and all.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Helped a fellow GTO brethen do a clutch replacement, which should help out when I need to do mine. Got the transmission out and back in pretty good time..
Perfect time to install a speed bleeder if there's not one already.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor