What fast ratio steering box?

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
I have an 81 Malibu wagon bracket racer with what I believe is a Vega manual steering box. The ratio has become too slow when navigating through the pit and would like an easy to install upgrade. A salvage yard part is preferred with a 12.5:1 ratio that will easily swap in. Am I looking for the needle, or is there hope?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I know some earlier S-10 pickups came with a manual steering box that were fitted into a G-body car, but unsure of the ratio. Somehow I think it was a standard ratio box.
Perhaps another member has more information about this.

Reactions: 1 user

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions, but after searching many model car boxes on Rock Auto, it appears I am searching for the illusive needle. It appears any box that might fit my G-body with a 2.5:1 turns lock to lock or close to it will be in power steering. It makes sense, as a manual 2.5 turn lock to lock would be a bear to turn on slow speed, but PS is not an option for my application. My current box gets about 4 turns lock to lock and more than desirable. Any other suggestions are welcome?

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The other option I see, is going with a rack and pinion type steering setup which of course will require some fabrication work.
A manual quick ratio steering box may be non-existent. Like you said, a needle in the haystack.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I would try this company.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
So you want less than 4 turns lock to lock but already understand the steering effort will be too high.

Exactly why this does not exist. It can happen with a 48" diameter steering wheel?

Maybe there is an electric option that can be incorporated in.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I guess that's why earlier pre-power steering vehicles used a large diameter steering wheel.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor