What fast ratio steering box?

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
They do make an electric “power steering “ available. It goes up under the dash I believe with mods’. Can’t remember who makes it, but there is one! The only other possible idea if anyone knows is if a Jeep may fit or e-mail Saginaw company and ask? Or if you can find a rebuilder that can make one with custom ratios. $$$
Other idea would an F-body fit??
Seems there are a couple ways! Just takes $$
IMG_5677.jpeg
IMG_5678.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
I have an 81 Malibu wagon bracket racer with what I believe is a Vega manual steering box. The ratio has become too slow when navigating through the pit and would like an easy to install upgrade. A salvage yard part is preferred with a 12.5:1 ratio that will easily swap in. Am I looking for the needle, or is there hope?
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. After considering my options, I decided what I have is as good as it will get without more expense and trouble to keep with a manual system. I am familiar with Borgeson steering boxes, having installed one in my 79 Corvette. The box I have isn't more than I can handle, or creating a driving hazard, I thought I might have been overlooking a better junkyard option and why I fielded the question. I have an appointment for a drag race front end alignment, after new M&T front runners mounted up front. The experts provide the following numbers that I will have the alignment shop follow: Camber 0*, Caster 5-6* positive, Toe 1/16" negative. Front to rear axle to axle distance the same to square dimensions. Thanks to all for contributing your thoughts in response to my question!

Reactions: 3 users

Turbo442

n00b
Jan 3, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. After considering my options, I decided what I have is as good as it will get without more expense and trouble to keep with a manual system. I am familiar with Borgeson steering boxes, having installed one in my 79 Corvette. The box I have isn't more than I can handle, or creating a driving hazard, I thought I might have been overlooking a better junkyard option and why I fielded the question. I have an appointment for a drag race front end alignment, after new M&T front runners mounted up front. The experts provide the following numbers that I will have the alignment shop follow: Camber 0*, Caster 5-6* positive, Toe 1/16" negative. Front to rear axle to axle distance the same to square dimensions. Thanks to all for contributing your thoughts in response to my question!
Maybe try one of the companies like Turn One that rebuild ps boxes? Some of the electric ps kits are based on Prius steering boxes. One of my friends has a ps box from a Prius in his 66 Mustang

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Can you just loop it? I went and verified, because I was thinking the WS6 was 14:1, which it is, 2.6 turns lock to lock, the Z28 was 12:1 which gets it closer to 2 lock to lock.

1982 my friend and I put together a 73 Challenger Pro Street was all the rage, Mustang II was the the go to rack and pinion unit back then. We also helped build a Monza running big block on nitro, used a Pinto box if remember correct, but was long time ago.

There's a thread on NastyZ28 forum from 2004 that goes through all this in relation to your question. They mention Lee's and Lee is still in business.

Screenshot_20240213-214308.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240213-214555.png
    Screenshot_20240213-214555.png
    487.5 KB · Views: 19

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Hopefully this link will work. Links to the 2004 discussion.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Redhead and Bluetop modify factory boxes. Is PS not an option, or just an engine driven PS pump? Because you could always do an electric PS pump to power a regular power box and not add anything to the front of the engine.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor