...What Gives?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Simple, people are lazy. Now people think modifying a car is bolting on some wheels and tires, plastidip some stripes, and install a K&N cold air kit. They think they've done it all. We all know truly customizing a cat and making it your own is hard work....

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
The younger crowd (30 and under) have in general less exposure and access to the skills and cars. Many schools have stopped offering shop , small engine, automotive classes. So for many unless you have a Mom,Dad, family member, buddy, group that is into wrench'n you have no clue about anything beyond the dashboard of a car(even that can be a mystery to some). For those people the only option is a newer vehicle that they can take anywhere for repair and maintenance. That does not even touch on the enviro/political hacks that are against everything old and do it yourself. CfC killed many thousands of older cars which was an intended goal for them. To many a car is just an appliance. So it is imperative for people like us to draw people to our hobby and take the time to educate them and instill that love of cars. This can be difficult because they will ask and do many stupid (to us) things, but we must resist the impulse to insult them or walk away from the opportunity to educate.
I taught my 3 kids about cars and made them learn and perform the basics. My garage is open to their friends along w/ my knowledge and time. Sadly sometimes even my $$$, but I love having them all around talking sh*t and getting greasy.

Also very true. I've been very fortunate to have access to tools and a space to work.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
The younger crowd (30 and under) have in general less exposure and access to the skills and cars. Many schools have stopped offering shop , small engine, automotive classes. So for many unless you have a Mom,Dad, family member, buddy, group that is into wrench'n you have no clue about anything beyond the dashboard of a car(even that can be a mystery to some). For those people the only option is a newer vehicle that they can take anywhere for repair and maintenance. That does not even touch on the enviro/political hacks that are against everything old and do it yourself. CfC killed many thousands of older cars which was an intended goal for them. To many a car is just an appliance. So it is imperative for people like us to draw people to our hobby and take the time to educate them and instill that love of cars. This can be difficult because they will ask and do many stupid (to us) things, but we must resist the impulse to insult them or walk away from the opportunity to educate.
I taught my 3 kids about cars and made them learn and perform the basics. My garage is open to their friends along w/ my knowledge and time. Sadly sometimes even my $$$, but I love having them all around talking sh*t and getting greasy.
My family has always been open to help the younger ones. We always have come of our cars out and welcome the young ones to help wrench on them

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Working on older cars takes a lot more muscle, elbow grease and perseverance.

Kids nowadays are raised with a short attention span and want instant gratification. Working on an true project car for years without seeing a complete car until it's done is something that young guys aren't up to. I mean look at half of us on the forum. Most of our cars aren't running yet but thats because there's a long term goal for each of us. Current scene is about Bolt ons and easy on the finger nails lol

Reactions: 1 users

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
There's a lot of things at play in my opinion. The abundance of good running, used, carbed engines isn't what it used to be and a quick swap for a displacement boost isn't as easy anymore. Some people face emissions that won't let them run big blocks transplants either. Fuel injection and LS swaps cost a little more money. Our cars accelerate, handle and brake like turds compared to modern cars.....in stock form anyway!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Most people pretty much completely ignore my 88 CSC. Now the 70 Cutlass S is a different story, I got nice car, twice in 2 days. One in the 70 and the other in my Stone White 2010 Dodge Challenger, it gets a lot of compliments. My CSC looks good for what it is, other than online compliments, almost no one has ever said nice car. 80's cars may never be worth any money except a couple of models. Mine is going bye bye and probably go for scrap once I take all the good parts.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Sure this is true for some but it's bigger than that. Many of these guys that have cars like VW's, Subaru's and others modify and tune the hell out of them and do much of it themselves. I think it's a few layers.

1- Like ribbed said, financing.

2- Practicality. Many of the cars that are hot these days are 4 door cars. Much easier to justify to the girlfriend/wife or even ones self(if you're lame and afraid of life). They will also be more reliable as a daily and likely have a warranty if its still new enough. Guys like us have a daily, a G-body and maybe other older cars. These guys don't have the means(or the balls) to own more than one set of wheels.

3- The evolution of modding and tuning newer cars is still evolving. Younger people likely feel more connected that. It's more cutting edge to be front runner rather than look to nostalgia.

4- Computers. Our whole world is computers and you've now got an adult working population that lives and dies by them. Newer cars have sophisticated computers with a wide range of tuning ability. With all the tuning software and devices coming out each year, this makes them feel connected to the process on a different level. The things you do to a G-body to mod them are the same exact things you do to a 1967. Big v8, gears, transmission, carb/Fuel injection. And that FI is usually a more simple setup.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Why not just save, buy something older, then spring for modifications, and you won't have a car payment.

I once worked in a shop where the owner's daughter (who had been around repairing cars her WHOLE life) replied to this same discussion with "but you'll always have a car payment, it's part of life"

And she has. Me, not so much. I haven't made a payment on a car for ME since 1998. Have made a few for the wife's rides, but we try to buy (used) for cash.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
I was one of the people that refused to buy a new car for well over a decade until a few months ago. I'm not 20 anymore, I work too much and reliability issues aren't' something I have the time and patience to deal with. I also commute 20 miles each way.

I almost abandoned my GP for an '06 GTO because I'm tired of the project stage and want to drive something I like.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you don't crave it - get introduced to it - or grow up with it - it isn't going to happen. Cutty, this is where you make a living off of it supplying the want a be's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor