what is the best electric fan set up from the wrecking yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
What is the best electric fan set up from the wrecking yard? I would like it to look as factory as possible. With as close to the right size shroud. Thanks. Bernhard

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Thanks mmaadx1. How much did you have to fab to make it work? Do you have any pic's. Bernhard

mmaadx1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2009
Fort Walton Beach FL
right now it is zip tied till it warms up and is on a 30 amp switch till i spend the $35 for the temp sensor wich you can set to come on at any temp between 100 and 250 degrees. So i spent 35 for the fans with warranty 35 for sensor and 15 for the right brackets for the fans to stay in place. $85 total instead of 200 plus. Will get some pics tomorrow for ya

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The LT1 F-body dual electric fans fit really well too.

bracket2.jpg

To hold mine in, I bent a couple of aluminum brackets up real quick and used the holes and bolts that orginally held the stock fan shroud on.
The bottom of the fan fit over the flange on the radiator core support as-is.

The only modification I did was to trim off a couple of the original mounting tabs on each side and one of the fan housings needed trimmed to clear the steering box:

LT1_fan_clearance.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
3XBrownCutty said:
Some old pics i take it fe3x? :lol: Before the days of the bad-*ss ground up rebuild :mrgreen:

Yep. LOL Those pics are probably 8 years old now.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
I have a question but I didn't want to start a new post, so I decided to put it here. I plan on purchasing a summit 31x19 aluminum radiator with a horizontal filler neck for my 85 cutlass. Not the slanted one like on factory radiators. I read of some people with malibus who have ran this same style radiators with hood closing issues. Does anyone know if I would have clearance issues on a cutlass? Chime in with good info.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I have a universal Summit 31x19" radiator and it will not fit the stock core support without modification. It sits really high.

I ended up cutting the core support so that I could lower the radiator and use the stock radiator hold down.

It also doesn't come with a drain pet c*ck and the lower radiator hose outlet is practically hitting the frame.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a direct fit aluminum radiator and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor