What to put in my Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

86RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2007
Northampton, MA
illregal82 said:

Yeah i've been searching my local craigslist everyday. I should probably go check out some junk yards too but I want to make sure I know what I'm looking for. Other than the 350, and those previously listed, what other engines did would fit in my Regal with little modification?

Also, if anyone is interested in the 307 that I will be pulling out of my car, hit me up. The car has only 49,000 miles and it's the original engine. I probably wouldn't be doing the swap until summer but I'm just putting it out there.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Your current trans. will bolt right up to a Chevy 350. Not doubting you, but are you sure it's an Olds 307 & not a Chevy 305?? Just asking.

The 350 you were interested in could very well have been a low comp. engine. But, my point was that you would have been saving ALOT of money with it versus the $1200 crate engine. On the crate you'd most likely be pulling off the stock crappy heads & stamped rockers, putting it a better cam & timing chain, & you'd STILL have had to buy an intake,carb & ignition AND been stuck with a dished piston low comp. engine.

Believe me, when I did my drivetrain swap in my Cutlass I considered the "el-cheapo crate 350" also, 'till I did my homework & realized the cost difference. A donor engine for a couple hundred bucks, minor machine work & MY CHOICE of internals (and externals) was greatly cheaper than a cheap crate engine that I was going to junk 3/4 of the parts anyways & replace them with good go fast parts.

86RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2007
Northampton, MA
82355supreme said:
Your current trans. will bolt right up to a Chevy 350. Not doubting you, but are you sure it's an Olds 307 & not a Chevy 305?? Just asking.

The 350 you were interested in could very well have been a low comp. engine. But, my point was that you would have been saving ALOT of money with it versus the $1200 crate engine. On the crate you'd most likely be pulling off the stock crappy heads & stamped rockers, putting it a better cam & timing chain, & you'd STILL have had to buy an intake,carb & ignition AND been stuck with a dished piston low comp. engine.

Believe me, when I did my drivetrain swap in my Cutlass I considered the "el-cheapo crate 350" also, 'till I did my homework & realized the cost difference. A donor engine for a couple hundred bucks, minor machine work & MY CHOICE of internals (and externals) was greatly cheaper than a cheap crate engine that I was going to junk 3/4 of the parts anyways & replace them with good go fast parts.

I thought the engine is a 307, I didn't know they put Chevy 305s in these Regals. How would I find out and what difference does it make? I thought all v8 Regals were equipped with 307s. Your point on the used vs. crate engine is very well taken.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
They very well could have been, I'm by no means an expert on buicks, BUT look at the valve covers. The Chevy's will have a more "square edge" look & the Olds will be "skinnier & more rounded" Take a look.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
If it's an Olds engine, you'll need motor mounts from an '78-'88 Monte Carlo with the 305 V-8 to install a Chevy small block. $20/pair from your local auto parts store.

I just did a little research, it's for sure an Olds 307.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Remove the old ones from the frame & bolt on the new ones. You'll only use 3 of the 4 holes/bolts with the Chevy mounts though.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
the bolts might be a pain 3 of my bolts just spun we had to cut them out with a air cutting wheel and hammer at 10pm i dont think my neighbors liked that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor