What to put in my Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
It looks like you are good to use any GM engine. Before you buy one, I would crawl under there and verify that you do have the dual bolt pattern on the trans, but it looks pretty promising. Your stock trans was only built to take 200 horsepower, so you will eventually need to rebuild it, but it will last a while. Just depends how bad you beat on it. The 200R4's can be built to take a lot more power.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Maybe ask this in the GN forum here, but were the 200-4R's in the GN's "built-up"?? Because they were rated at a very conservative 245HP but we all know the real number is at or above 300.

Just a thought, as far as how much power a stock 200-4R will handle.

86RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2007
Northampton, MA
jerrycad472 said:
It looks like you are good to use any GM engine. Before you buy one, I would crawl under there and verify that you do have the dual bolt pattern on the trans, but it looks pretty promising. Your stock trans was only built to take 200 horsepower, so you will eventually need to rebuild it, but it will last a while. Just depends how bad you beat on it. The 200R4's can be built to take a lot more power.

How do you build a transmission to handle more power? Is it more difficult than rebuilding an engine?

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Ahhhh... way more. Leave it to a trans. shop or buy a trans already made for the power. But, it's not cheap. $1200 for a 200-4R plus you'd still have to buy a converter, another $300

I know you don't want to give up the OD, but either run your 200 'till it dies or find a TH350. With 3.42's for rear gears the RPMS will be around 2400 @55MPH which isn't terrible.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Oh yea!! It'll handle it, but you'll need a different trans. crossmember & maybe a driveshaft.

kdolloff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2007
kansas
delete

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
The 200-4Rs that came in the GN/Ttype/442/MCSS did have some better parts valve bodies servos factory shift kit. They had different shift points even shifted in OD at WOT. That said they are still somewhat weak against brute torque but usually what breaks behind a small block does not ruin your day. A GOOD shiftkit such as what CKPerformance makes and a large cheap transmission cooler will help alot with helping them hold up without breaking the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor