What's this cable behind my gauge cluster??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
In my other thread I got advise how to accesss my gauge bulbs on my 86 cutlass. I was good taking it apart until I was trying to remove the cluster out. There's this thin cable that is connected to the cluster and goes somewhere into dash. I was told to gently pull on cluster but now am afraid of the purpose of this cable. Advise???

rangertom

Greasemonkey
Sep 2, 2012
Independence, MO
it is the gear indicator cable, it hooks to the lower side of the steering column. remove the panel directly below the column with the small vent in it and you will see the clip on the side closest to the gas pedal, it just slides off.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
Awesome. Going back outside to try again. I want to replace bulbs with led's but dont know how many there are to replace.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Here's a pic showing the location of the cable clip...

nwwj.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
O. D. Showtime said:

nwwj.jpg

when you shift gears that part of the cover on the column rotates by way of the linkage and indicates what gear your are in.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
pontiacgp said:
O. D. Showtime said:

nwwj.jpg

when you shift gears that part of the cover on the column rotates by way of the linkage and indicates what gear your are in.

Got it. So once I get that disconnected, I just "pull off" the speedo connector??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
yes that's all you do, you might want to mark where the cable is so you don't have to spend time adjusting it's location so the indicator is on target

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I found out the hard way I needed to disconnect the gear indicator on my Buick wagon. :roll: .

You were smarter than me asking before you broke something. :blam:

Roger.

Droop408

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2013
rustyroger said:
I found out the hard way I needed to disconnect the gear indicator on my Buick wagon. :roll: .

You were smarter than me asking before you broke something. :blam:

Roger.

Trust me, I'm very impatient and thought about cutting the cable, lol. Decided to take some pics, post up the question, and goes wash my car while the answers rolled in. Glad I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor