Which make/model GBody has the nicest interior door panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutlass3800

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2009
Door panels aren't something I have taken a lot of notice of before, but since I'm going to be replacing the ones on my '81 2-door Malibu eventually, I thought I'd ask - which make/model of G-Body came with the nicest looking door panels?

1988 Monte Carlo SS? 1985 Grand Prix? 1987 Buick Grand National?

Post pictures if you can!

Cutlass3800

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2009
Cool looking custom panels, but
1) they cost too much
2) I think they would look cheesey in an otherwise stock interior
3) custom panels go out of fashion whereas stock panels never look out of place!

I appreciate the link though - my Dad is building a '38(?) Dodge rod so I'll pass the info on to him.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
I'm a bit biased, but the 1985ish Cutlass's have some pretty cool panels when you loose the wood grain:

IMG_0431.JPG

Also check out the 1982 Regal panels. Cars and concepts did a nice version of them on the 1982 Grand National. I'm sure there are pics on google.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
well, you can't find new ones for G bodies at that price...

Another idea is to shop around a salvage yard and find some nice looking panels for a different car, measure and make it fit in your own. IMO stock interiors just get older and uglier, especially our plastic/foam g body interiors

To answer your question, all of them are about the same. Some have trim and door holders moved but nothing that you'd take notice and say they look better than the other

Cutlass3800

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2009
Brick442 said:
Also check out the 1982 Regal panels. Cars and concepts did a nice version of them on the 1982 Grand National. I'm sure there are pics on google.

I dunno - if it wasn't for the "442" emblem on yours, I would take yours before the Cars and Concepts 82 Grand National version. :D
82gnint.jpg

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
The Grand Prix had unique panels.... protruding stainless steel section which housed the swithes for power windows and locks.

Cutlass3800

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2009
Stoopud said:
I know there were GP specific panels, with pull handles connected to the arm rests. I have a pair on my car but no photo's. I could take some if interested.
I tried googling for some photo's, but all I could find were interior shots of the new Grand Prix's. Please post a pic of your Grand Prix door panels when you can.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
you can see it in this pic here: http://gbodyforum.com/photos/displayimage-206-5.html some had the woodgrain inserts most had the brushed metal ones.

There were some later ones that had the "standard" lower panels like the rest of the g-bodies, and then some that had the big pulls coming off the armrest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor