Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:
khan0165 said:
pontiacgp said:
it hit $1.22 a litre here today in southwest Ontario so that's $4.575 for a US gallon... :cry:
hmmm... remember the $1.27s a couple years ago? I remember paying $1.35 for 91 octane... :blam:

I remember those days too. I remember gas being $0.79 a gallon in 2001 for 87 octance, $0.89 for 89 octane, and $0.99 for 93 octane. I was 15 in high school driving a '83 Cutlass and a '93 Pathfinder. Those were the days.

I remember in Florida with my parents in 1970 and gas was 0.35 a gallon....we drove down in the Pontiac Tempest (first year it was sold in Canada) my dad had just bought with a 350 4 bbl Pontiac engine and the price tag was a little over $3,200 out of the showroom...

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
pontiacgp said:
I remember in Florida with my parents in 1970 and gas was 0.35 a gallon....we drove down in the Pontiac Tempest (first year it was sold in Canada) my dad had just bought with a 350 4 bbl Pontiac engine and the price tag was a little over $3,200 out of the showroom...

The first time I ever heard of a gas shortage was in late 1971, and in Florida. In the 60's, we had "gas wars."

Sometimes it got down to 19-20 cents a gallon!

torjan

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2009
Germany, upper Bavaria
it doesn't help with the US price, but let you feel better.

~8.47 per gallon 98 (Super+) here in Germany (1,60€/l) with 5% ethanol, Super with 10% is a bit cheaper

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
tc1959 said:
I just watched NBC they reported $5.49 for reg , unleaded in LA. at Chevron :shock:

That doesn't surprise me. When I was out there in the early 90's it averaged about a $1.05-1.10. When I started driving back east and got out by Needles, CA (B.F.E.), it was .70 higher because it was in the middle of nowhere. I'd love to see $1.70/gal once again.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Solution; kill all the oil speculators and crooked oil/banking guys. Bury them in the ground. In a million or so years we can use them for fuel. It would be the first time they provided anything usefull to the world.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
When I was in high school we were happy if we could just GET gas. There were numerous assaults and even a shooting or two at the gas pumps. If you dont remember, there was a "shortage". We could only get gas on either odd or even days, depending at what digit your plate ended with. You'd wait hours, backed a mile down the street, to reach the gas station. Then, when you got there they might say, you can only get 5 or 10 gallons. It didnt matter where you worked or how much you used.

We used to say we didnt care what it cost, as long as you could get it. I guess I should shut up and be happy.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Larryg said:
We used to say we didnt care what it cost, as long as you could get it. I guess I should shut up and be happy.

No. You should be vocal and completely outraged. We are basically being legally raped and being lied to as for the reasons why. They want the average citizen to just bend over, take it, and feel good about it. When is enough enough?

adh383

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2010
It's just part of living in a world with criminals doing whatever they want. Stop buying from exxon-- mobil and their prices will fall like a rock as will all other suppliers.. Food will be used against us one day-- jmust like gas in now.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
Bonnewagon said:
Here it is, as I've always said. Mf'n speculators bending us over and laughing all the way to the Hamptons on OUR money. Scumlickers. From the net----------> "The Fix for High Oil Prices? Regulate the Speculators"
By PETER COHAN Posted 10:30 AM 03/04/11 Energy, Economy, Investing, Goldman Sachs , Credit

As the crisis in Libya continues to shake world oil markets, a rising chorus of voices in Washington is calling for President Obama to release millions barrels of oil from our 727 million-barrel Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR), The New York Times reports. With gasoline prices up 33 cents a gallon in the last month, that's a tempting idea. The government tapped into the SPR after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and during 1991's Persian Gulf War. In both cases, the moves took pressure off oil prices.

But is the current situation such an emergency? No way. After all, as I wrote last month on DailyFinance, Libya represents a mere 0.5% of U.S. oil imports, and Saudi Arabia is increasing its production to make up the difference. There has been no sudden increase in demand for oil, nor has there been a truly significant drop in supply. In fact, refineries -- which convert crude oil into gasoline and other chemicals -- are operating at a relatively low 88.4% of capacity, according to the U.S. Energy Information Institute.

So why are oil prices going up so much? Speculators.

Oil speculators using cheaply borrowed money to bet on rising oil prices and a falling dollar are playing on media-fueled fear to make big profits. The good news is that stopping those speculators would be easy: Regulators should demand higher margin requirements. By cutting off their easy ability to gamble with cheap debt, the regulators could push speculators out of the market and relieve consumers from pain at the pump.

The Politics of Regulation

Last time we had a huge run-up in oil prices was 2008 when oil hit $147 a barrel. When the Commodities Futures Trading Commission -- the body that's charged with keeping the trading pits honest -- investigated, it discovered that 81% of the trading volume in oil was being conducted by speculators. Put another way, businesses that actually use the oil, such as airlines, were doing just 19% of the trading. The vast majority was done by hedge funds and investment banks to make a quick buck.

Sponsored Links
The CFTC let speculators into the oil-trading market back in 1991. That's because, as I wrote on BloggingStocks in 2008, J. Aron, the trading unit that hired Goldman Sachs (GS) CEO Lloyd Blankfein, requested and got an exemption that allowed it to trade oil even though it wasn't going to take delivery. Once J. Aron got through that door, so did many others -- including Enron. Remember how that turned out?

The Dodd-Frank financial reform law requires the CFTC to do something about speculators, but they've managed to delay the implementation of so-called position limits until 2012. According to Heatingoil.com, the CFTC will be at least a year late in complying with the Dodd-Frank requirement that it limit speculators' ability to drive up oil prices.

Let Real Supply and Demand Dictate Prices

So, thanks to the CFTC's inaction, the level of speculation in oil prices is at record levels. According to Heatingoil.com, trading volume on the NYMEX from oil traders who don't take delivery -- so-called "net long positions," hit a level not seen in four years in January.

The fuel that keeps these speculators going is cheap capital -- supplied by our friends at the Federal Reserve. But again, it's easy to stop this: Simply require those speculators to use much less borrowed money when they trade.

Last month, two exchanges did just that -- but it wasn't enough. According to Bloomberg, the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) in February increased its margin requirements 20% to $6,075 per contract, and the International Exchange (ICE) increased its margin requirement 7% to $5,200.

If consumers had a say, NYMEX and ICE would double those margin requirements today, and you'd then see oil and gasoline prices drop to the levels dictated by supply and demand rather than Wall Street greed. Shutting down the speculators' ability to gamble quite so much with borrowed money would be a better answer than releasing oil from the SPR when we don't have a real supply emergency.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/efjPlW
:bump:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor