Pics of hood hinges - steel vs aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Since this topic has come up several times I thought I would post some pics showing the difference between steel hood springs and those used on the rare aluminum hoods. In summary, the number of windings is the same but the wall thickness of the spring coil is different.

Close up of aluminum spring coil below

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
The other way to tell is when you put hinges on a car and the steel hood comes falling down on your head. :evil:

Good post. I have multiple sets of hinges and I know at least one set was for an aluminum hood but wasn't sure.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Window regulator springs are only 5 coils and are not big enough.
Would be nice to find a good replacement though...

Another way to tell is that you can close the hinge with your bare hands.

83hurstguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Kansas City
My steel hood hinge springs on my H/O measured even thicker in places, up to 0.118-0.124". Found that on another set as well. Either way, very clear delineation of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor