TH350 to 200R4 Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Yes you read that right Im doing the reverse of everyone else. My 86 Cutlass has a 403 with TH350 but the 350 is wasted and I just came across a good rear with Posi and 3.73 gears so its Overdrive time. The previous owner hacked up all the wiring, but Minion was nice enough to give me his old computer, wiring, and trans so Im back in the game. What should I need to get the trans working right in this car? I have the 200R4, torque converter, new shifter, new over lay for the console, the bracket for the cable to the carb, Im in the process of trackign down a CCC Carb and I have the Distributor. Tell me what you guys think.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I believe you have everything covered besides the crossmember, you will need a different one. Also, a stock 200-4R may not last long behind a 403, but you may get lucky.

I might be interested in the 350 crossmember depending on how much you want for it if you want to sell it.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
I was under the impression that the cross member just bolts to a different hole on the frame or it was slotted. What trans is in yours now maybe we can swap?

Seraphx7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2010
Im thinking of doing the exact opposite, does anyone know the measurement of a short shaft 350?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
86cutlassrules said:
I was under the impression that the cross member just bolts to a different hole on the frame or it was slotted. What trans is in yours now maybe we can swap?

No, they are completely different. I have a double hump crossmember for a 200-4R right now, but I will eventually be using it once I can afford to have the trans built, so no trades. I pulled the 200-4R I have out of the junkyard and I have no idea if it works. I am just using a 350 now because I know it works.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I dont suppose that you are using a transmission crossmember for a th350,if not maybe they do line up.I know for a fact,both the th350 tail and the 2004r tail are the same length.Since its a olds engine and an olds transmission,it'll line up no problem,hooking up all those wires for the ecm looks like quite the challenge for anyone to do.For the ccc carb,find a core from the junkyard,and take the time and rebuild it properly,and please resist on using superglue on it.If not using an ecm setup,jegs sells kits for tcc lockup converter kits for a 2004r for a non computerized carb,they go for anywhere around $90 i believe.For a computerized setup,it wont be a problem hooking up the ecm with the factory tcc.BTW i hope all those parts were very useful to you,i sure as hell didnt need them 8) .HAve you got any pics of the transmission crossmember?I'm interested in knowing how the th350 fit with that crossmember

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I beleive you need linkage from a g,that is equipped with a console and 2004r.I have the linkage here,but i dont want to give it away til i get the new th350 linkage and shifter mech soon.Lemme know if you want that,i'll give it to you for free to,but i'll have to see if i need this linkage or different linkage.I guess that covers everything you really need,just start pluging things in and bolting everyhting up.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
The parts have been beyond useful thanks again man. Turns out my computer was still in the car, Ive been untangling the harness you gave me for the past few days lol, I'm not sure about the linkage just yet I may still have 200R4 linkage in the car. I know the shift cable bracket and shift cable were rigged up on the 350 with washers, spacers and a bunch of other stuff, interestingly enough the TH350 and 200R4 use the same kits to hook up a B & M shifter so linkages maybe similar. If it turns out my cross member and linkage doesn't work we can swap, considering I'm taking out a 350 and your're putting one in that way we both win, by the way I have an MSD cap and rotor for you next time I come up. I think I just found a carb so I'm waiting to see how it goes, Cliff Ruggles in Ohio will be modifying it for me. He seems to be the only guy that knows how to tune it for a 403. I'm probably going to take everything apart and begin comparing parts this week, Im hearing a little noise when I rev the car, just not sure if its the trans making it or the beginnings of a knock in my 403. I may end up deeper in this then I thought. Ill keep you guys posted.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
linkage is the same th350 and 200-4r, as is the shifter cable .... you'll want a 4 speed shifter. Crossmember is different. TH350 uses a vacuum modulator. 200-4r uses TV cables .... you iwll need the TV cables and the apropos bracket. If the th350 isn't lockup ... a retro-fit kit is recomended.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
I don't think you can just slide the crossmember back on a G- like you could on an A-Body. Though the 200-4R and 350 are the same length the mounting pads are in two different spots. Some folks modify the 350 crossmember by cutting the pad off and welding it to the opposite side. I've only seen this done on the aftermarket cross-members like G-Force so not sure if it'll work on a stock member.

For the B&M shifter, there is a pin and two e-clips that need to be removed. Once you do that you'll be able to hit all the forward gears. You'll just have to get an updated face-plate.

Let us know how it works out - I'm planning the same swap in the future. Mine came with the TH200c originally but now has a built-up TH350. Computer's still in it so I'm hoping that I can use that to control convertor lockup or run a non-lockup convertor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor