Ebay crossmembers

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
The box tubing doesn't appear big enough to be G Force, and I think it's one of these.

Screenshot_20240429-145403.png

Reactions: 1 user

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
The box tubing doesn't appear big enough to be G Force, and I think it's one of these.

View attachment 238736
Good eye, and from a terrible pic nonetheless. I'll compare them when the rain stops but I believe your correct. Thank you very much Johnny.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Good eye, and from a terrible pic nonetheless. I'll compare them when the rain stops but I believe your correct. Thank you very much Johnny.
You're very welcome. I have no problem sharing my opinions, I just hope they're occasionally helpful. I looked for things that seem to change between manufacturers: box size, plate thickness, bolt hole shape, and the welds but I'm still just guessing.

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
You're very welcome. I have no problem sharing my opinions, I just hope they're occasionally helpful. I looked for things that seem to change between manufacturers: box size, plate thickness, bolt hole shape, and the welds but I'm still just guessing.
I'll be the first to admit that my eyes have lost detail over the years, probably too much welding and not enough carrots. Hate those things. Haha. I looked up the weights and it's a big difference so I should be able to easily see (or feel) the difference when I get that crossmember off the trans. The G-Force is 33lbs vs the Amazon at 25.6lbs. Not that it really matters, just trying to figure out what all I got in this mess. I did get a happy surprise on the headers in that pic though Hooker competition ceramic coated #2451-1 retail at like $550-$600. There not pretty, you can see the surface rust but no dents or dings. SCORE!

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I looked up the weights and it's a big difference so I should be able to easily see (or feel) the difference when I get that crossmember off the trans. The G-Force is 33lbs vs the Amazon at 25.6lbs. Not that it really matters, just trying to figure out what all I got in this mess. I did get a happy surprise on the headers in that pic though Hooker competition ceramic coated #2451-1 retail at like $550-$600. There not pretty, you can see the surface rust but no dents or dings. SCORE!
Ahh, great idea: the scale will tell the tale. I wouldn't be able to sleep until I knew exactly what I had, and those headers are a good score for sure. I have the plain non-ceramic version and the driver's side hits the brake line by the proportioning valve until you bend it, move the valve or clearance the backside of it, and the passenger side is extremely close to the upper control arm. It might hit if the frame is bent or you've got a ton of shims in-- there appears to be between 1/16" and 1/8" of air between them on my Cutlass. To run an S5 oil filter or equivalent you'll have to clearance a tube or it'll touch, and I found shorty header plugs to be absolutely necessary on my straight-plug heads unless you want to dimple a few primaries, which I've also done.

I personally like carrots, but the whole "eat them for better eyesight" thing was WWII propaganda. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...at-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
Ahh, great idea: the scale will tell the tale. I wouldn't be able to sleep until I knew exactly what I had, and those headers are a good score for sure. I have the plain non-ceramic version and the driver's side hits the brake line by the proportioning valve until you bend it, move the valve or clearance the backside of it, and the passenger side is extremely close to the upper control arm. It might hit if the frame is bent or you've got a ton of shims in-- there appears to be between 1/16" and 1/8" of air between them on my Cutlass. To run an S5 oil filter or equivalent you'll have to clearance a tube or it'll touch, and I found shorty header plugs to be absolutely necessary on my straight-plug heads unless you want to dimple a few primaries, which I've also done.

I personally like carrots, but the whole "eat them for better eyesight" thing was WWII propaganda. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...at-carrots-help-you-see-in-the-dark-28812484/
I heard about that WWll deal, makes me dislike carrots even more because they were in cahoots with the government! Only joking? Haha. I really appreciate the heads up on the headers, I'm seriously considering building a car from this pile of parts, but the last thing I need is another huge project. I'm really torn on this one because I love these cars. I built my square body chevy from a frame (roller), this is missing all the front suspension but I do have S-10 suspension leftovers and I could buy coils and steering components. I did get the steering box and column. It was a console shift car like almost all of them and I got a Hurst shifter in the unit. No rear control arms but a mint set of factory aluminum wheels. Bfg tires but they are shot. Engine and trans seem fresh with zero leaks. I don't want to hi-jack this post, I apologize.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Any guesses on this crossmember? I can get a better pic, this was one of the pics from the auction place. I hauled everything home but I don't have any good pics yet.
its a th350 member by the looks of it

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
its a th350 member by the looks of it
The trans bolted to it is a 700/4 and the frame I got from the unit is an 87 so it should have been 700/4 right? I'm still learning all the details. Thats all I know for sure.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I don’t think Gbody’s ran 700/R4 trans. I think when they went to 4 speed automatics they were all 200/4R‘s. Someone must have swapped that trans in there.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor