1" drop spindles ? Or is 2" drop the norm !

Status
Not open for further replies.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey friends, I was looking on the QA1 site for different parts and noticed that it seems the standard
Style drop spindles for Gbody's are 2" in nature. So has anyone seen a vendor with a 1" drop spindle
or can that be handled by changing just springs to a softer rate....

If you have any experience on this or feedback please post up. Thanks jake

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Eibach springs is the 1 inch lowering bracket. You can cut a coil on the rear springs but not up front. The reason most people go with the 2'' set-up is the eibachs are expensive and recommend using hotchki's suspension up front which gets outrageously expensive. If you want the car to corner it's worth it. If you are going to drive to work or the track its really not.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
Hey thanks for the reply. So lowering 1" cost more than lowering 2" ? Go figure.
So Then I could keep all my stock parts and just add a pair of 2 inch drop spindles ?
Or would the springs need to be replaced as well. ?

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Best thing about drop spindles are that the suspension characteristics don't change other than the fact that the front end is lowered 2" and center of gravity is lowered also. So yes you can replace the stock steering knuckle for a pair of 2" drop spindles and keep your current springs and shocks.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
If you want perfect cornering get the hotchkis kit, the 1'' inch eibachs kit, put bilstein shocks in the back and cut 1 coil on the rear springs too. If it's just a weekend cruiser to you, and you just want it for how it looks, save more than a thou, get the 2 inch setup, stay stock up front, and don't. It's really that simple. Just don't expect improved handling with the 2 inch setup. You get what you pay for on this one. Not too many g-bodies over 100,000 can get through the slalom without smacking some cones. If you want to join that club it costs a lot more to get in, but we get what we pay for. I have owned a 3 series and when I drove my friend's 79 monte with the 1st setup I described it was 90% of the way there. Like oldsone implied, it won't make a noticeable difference if you stay stock and get the 2 inch spindles. All that does is lower the center of gravity. I would ditch the gabriels either way. They are good shocks, but not with a 2 inch drop. I also tried a monte with the hotchkis and 2 inch drop + poly bushings, but imo it was too stiff cornered with high G's and caused an irritating pain in the back of my neck. I think regular bushings are better with a drop (something has to give!) but thats more of an opinion than a fact.

87BlazeLS

Master Mechanic
Sep 5, 2012
Apopka Florida
wow thanks for the update. This car will see zero track time and any mods would purely be for
looks and C of G gains. A 2" drop in front and aired up shocks in the rear might make for
a too severe ride height. However with the rear shocks held at about 40 psi the rear is firm but the
height is very close to normal. Right now the car has that Cadillac cush ride quality.
Adding the new end link and poly bushings to the front sway bar helped to control body roll
greatly in normal to spirited turning. And upgrade to the shocks front and rear is an option
I'm considering in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor