12 bolt finished up and installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
The rear tires are 245 60 R 15's...They have plenty of clearance and have no rubbing issues. Sorry I haven't got a chance to post any pics yet. I will try this weekend.

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
what is that out of and was it just a bolt in thing or did you have to modify it some

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
87montecarlomrc said:
what is that out of and was it just a bolt in thing or did you have to modify it some
It's out of a '69 Chevelle I think........Either way, All 12 bolt's from 68'-72 A body cars ( Chevelle, Pontiac, even Elky's) will bolt right into our G body cars.the '64-'66 are just a lil bit narrower then the '68-'72. They are a direct bolt in...However to do it right you gotta get a 12 bolt swap kit ( adjustable Upper and lower control arms) from UMI performance or Iceman Racing.....I got the kit from UMI and mine is also from a '69 Chevelle..... :)

87montecarlomrc

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Sweet. I'll start lookn on there web sits at prices. I would like to have a 12 bolt in my car and alot were posi too . Thanks man

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
It's actually out of a 1967 chevelle. So it is the narrow rear end. We relocated the spring perches on top of the axle tube instead of infront of them, and moved the lower shock mount inward to avoid any wheel rub, there will only be wheel rub if I didn't move the shock mount in and got a larger offest rim. The rim is not set in the center of the wheel well but I have no rubbing issues. It would be more for just a look having it centered in the wheel well.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
speedkills80 said:
It's actually out of a 1967 chevelle. So it is the narrow rear end. We relocated the spring perches on top of the axle tube instead of infront of them, and moved the lower shock mount inward to avoid any wheel rub, there will only be wheel rub if I didn't move the shock mount in and got a larger offest rim. The rim is not set in the center of the wheel well but I have no rubbing issues. It would be more for just a look having it centered in the wheel well.
Not to steal your thread friend..And it looks great. I never relocated anything on the '69 12 bolt that i have in my 1984 Monte and to think of it, when I installed a 12 bolt out of a '72 Elky in my old '79 Monte I used the '79 stock control arms and had zero issues with them either.....no rubbing issues at all.....just food for thought :)

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
If you had used the stock control arms you may not have any rubbing but you do have binding issues. You just can't see them when you are driving the car. The upper control arms will bind if you don't use a hime joint. Plus if you use the stock uppers there isn't any way to set your pinion angle! The lowers you can use the stock ones. The spring perch was relocated because it was too far infront of the axle tube and it would not have been vertical it would have been leaning forward while going up and down with the suspension. The shock mount was only moved because we thought we may have an issue if we decided to use an offset rim, which we did not have too. Those are the reasons we did what we did. Just an FYI for anyone looking to do the swap. If you guys have any more questions about how or what we did just ask away. Hope this helps someone!! :D

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
84Deykno said:
I am a newbie, what do you benefit from a 12bolt, like what makes it so special?

It's nice because when you add some slicks and power to it it doesn't go Boom like a 7.5 will

speedkills80

Master Mechanic
Apr 11, 2010
Omaha NE
The 12 bolt is a lot stronger rear end then the 10 bolt. GM made 7.5" 10 bolts, the upgrade from that is a 8.5" 10 bolt rear end, then they have the 12 bolt rear end which is 8.875" rear end. They call it a 12 bolt because the rear cover has 12 bolts not 10. Then if you want an even stronger rear end you can opt for the ford 9". The more inches the better. Well that's what she said anyway!! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor