12 bolt in bu questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bww92ls1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 11, 2008
Smiths Grove, KY
Okay, I have a 12 bolt for my 79 Malibu. I bought upper double adj. control arms but at their shortest length they are about an inch longer than the stock. I thought they would have to be shorter. Would I be right, did I buy the wrong ones? Also the spring perches are mounted off the front of the axle tube. The stock g body's are mounted on top of the axle tube. If I use the longer control arms on top the spring perches appear to be directly below the frame spring location. Wouldn't this put the rearend 1 - 2 inches farther back under the frame. Is this normal? If not what do I need to do or get to make this right?

Sounds like you got the wrong arms. Where did you get them? They make specific upper arms for this swap. Most people say the springs will sit a little crooked in the 12 bolts perches but its not supposed to be a problem.

Bu 12 bolt

They are Lakewood p# 20149. They are for a 78-88 g body, but I do not know if they are for a 12 bolt swap. I bought them off ebay from a private owner but they were not ever used. Do you know what my options are for this? These are dbl. adj. and could be cut to the right length but they are powder coated and I wouldn't want to mess up the clean look to them. I am looking for a set of lower aftermarket non adjustable arms also if any one has a set to sell.

Re: Bu 12 bolt

bww92ls1 said:
They are Lakewood p# 20149. They are for a 78-88 g body, but I do not know if they are for a 12 bolt swap. I bought them off ebay from a private owner but they were not ever used. Do you know what my options are for this? These are dbl. adj. and could be cut to the right length but they are powder coated and I wouldn't want to mess up the clean look to them. I am looking for a set of lower aftermarket non adjustable arms also if any one has a set to sell.

The arms you have are just an upgrade for the stock ones. The 12 bolt swap arms have a different angle on them for the upper ears of the 12 bolt. Sorry to say but those arem't gonna do you any good. Here's some links for ya.
http://www.maliburacing.com/iceman/
http://www.umiperformance.com/products. ... gory_id=53
And i think that http://www.trzmotorsports.com/index.html has them but i'm not seeing it on their site. You may need to call them.

is the 12 bolt the same width? backing plate to backing plate?

AThorpe said:
is the 12 bolt the same width? backing plate to backing plate?

Depending on the year they are like an inch or 2 wider, per side. Can't remember the dimensions exactly.

I think the 64-67 Chevelle axle is wider than the 68-72. It may be the other way around, but the years are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor