12 Bolt Rear End??

Status
Not open for further replies.

84MadneSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2009
I'm just about to start building a new higher horse power engine for my 84 SS, but with the lack of a strong rear end i don't think i will get to far, i don't have a posi as it is, and everyone i talk to says that i'm going to break 10 bolts like no tomorrow because of the weight of the car and the horse power i plan to run, now i'm wondering if there is such a thing as a 12 bolt that will flat out bolt up to my frame not mods required?? So i can at least build a half decent rear end that i'm not going to break at the track........ :mrgreen: Now mind you i'm only 19 and i'm still learning about all this

87SS383

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2010
Check out http://www.justrearends.com. They provide fully assembled rear ends with brakes that have factory mounting points for 78-88 G-Body's. I got mine from them during the summer and it was a breeze.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I think he was asking is there a vehicle that you can take a 12 bolt directly out of and put directly into his monte carlo. I'm 19 too and I have been wanting to know the same thing. How much horsepower and torque are you making and what kind of tire are you running? Do you plan on drag racing a lot?

I'm running a 10 bolt out of an 86' monte ss and had it rebuilt. I've been thrashing on that thing and have done plenty of burnouts in my 80 malibu. Our cars (malibu, el camino, and monte carlo) really dont weigh as much as we think they do. Most average 3-3400 pounds which is less than newer cars. IMO the 10 bolts get a bad rep when, if built right, can actually take up a lot of punishment. Its the same as the arguement of which is a better 350 engine, a 2 bolt or 4 bolt? I had the seals replaced and a new ring and pinion because I had chipped a tooth, and haven't had a problem in the past three years.

87SS383

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2010
You can look for 72' and older GM's. Most were 12 bolt, i think the chevelle/monte from that time would fit with minimal adjustments.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
68/72 12 bolt go in with either adpater upper arms or arms with heims/spherical joints. You will need 1 more inch offset on the rims.

Or you could buy this and go racing next weekend. :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=15531

84MadneSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2009
patmckinneyracing said:
I think he was asking is there a vehicle that you can take a 12 bolt directly out of and put directly into his monte carlo. I'm 19 too and I have been wanting to know the same thing. How much horsepower and torque are you making and what kind of tire are you running? Do you plan on drag racing a lot?

I'm running a 10 bolt out of an 86' monte ss and had it rebuilt. I've been thrashing on that thing and have done plenty of burnouts in my 80 malibu. Our cars (malibu, el camino, and monte carlo) really dont weigh as much as we think they do. Most average 3-3400 pounds which is less than newer cars. IMO the 10 bolts get a bad rep when, if built right, can actually take up a lot of punishment. Its the same as the arguement of which is a better 350 engine, a 2 bolt or 4 bolt? I had the seals replaced and a new ring and pinion because I had chipped a tooth, and haven't had a problem in the past three years.
I plan on making about 400 at the wheels, on a 10.5 tire or maybe a 12 havent decided yet i plan on drag racing maybe 10 times a summer maybe dont want to get to crazy just want a nice fast respectable street car that puts down good times at the track

brian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2006
melfort Saskatchewan Canada
there is no direct bolt-in stock size and width 12 bolt . The only bigger bolt-in diff is the 8.5" GN/442/T-type 10 bolt. The 8.5 ranges from about $600 for a rough core to about $1500 with lots of good stuff in it. As stated above you can adapt the early 12 bolts in. I wouldn't dump much money into the 7.5. The cheapest way to get a couple goodies for it is to find a 4x4 s-10 truck at the wreckers. That will probably have 3.73 posi. It will go into your diff but you also need the pinion bearings and cups. I've done this before, 12.7 in a big block malibu but it blew up once we put on the slicks.
with only 400 hp and street tires it may last ok in your car. (maybe)
brian

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
.Products | News | Policies | About Us | Contact Us | Support | Log In | Create Account |
Subscribe to UMI:

Home :: 1978-1988 GM G-Body :: Rear Control Arms :: 12-Bolt Swap Control Arms :: 1978 - 1988 GM G-Body 12-Bolt Swap Lower Control Arm and Adjustable Upper Control Arm Kit

12-Bolt Swap Control Arms
Product 2/2

larger image 1978 - 1988 GM G-Body 12-Bolt Swap Lower Control Arm and Adjustable Upper Control Arm Kit
Starting at: $314.99
This kit includes both the upper and lower rear control arms designed to bolt a 1964-1972 GM A-Body 10-Bolt or 12-Bolt rear end into a 1978-1988 GM G-Body; this includes Monte Carlo, Malibu, El Camino, Regal, Grand National, Grand Prix and Cutlass. The upper control arms supplied with this kit are built at the correct angle to attach to the G-Body chassis as well as the A-Body rear end “ears”. These control arms are a must any time this swap is being completed. Using factory upper control arms will cause drastic rear end bind and incorrect driveline angle, this leads to traction lose, vibrations and unsafe handling. The lower control arms are fixed length and center the rear end in the wheel wells, lower arms also feature grease-able Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings and reinforced sway bar holes.

For more information on a specific item please visit each products specific link below-

Adjustable Upper Control Arms- Item # 3019
Lower Control Arms- Item # 3015

Application:
1978 - 1988 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Malibu, El Camino
1978 - 1988 Buick Regal, Grand National
1978 - 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
1978 - 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Add to Cart:

Products ...
Secure Socket Layer

Front PageHomePoliciesAbout UsContact UsSupportUMI Performance, Inc. Copyright © 2010

krazykyle

Master Mechanic
Sep 7, 2009
i'll be trying out that kit this weekend.i have a 10 bolt out of a 68 chevelle and they claim it will bolt right in.i have the rear end in my 83 cutlass which came out of my buddies 79 cutlass,but it just doesn't bolt in right.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
'i have the rear end in my 83 cutlass which came out of my buddies 79 cutlass,but it just doesn't bolt in right.

Sometime is wrong there, with the exc eption of the GNX rear all Gbodys (78/88) will swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor