12 bolt rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

502monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2007
i just bought a 1984 monte with a 502 big block in it. currently has a turbo 350 trans and a 10 bolt. i plan on drag racing it. the 10 bolt will snap in half with big block power. i read that a chevelle 12 bolt bolts right in. will a 1970 chevelle 12 bolt swap right in? i found one locally with 4:11 gears and a mini spool with hardened axles for a good price but i want to make sure it will fit.

thanks
mike

bowtie81

Apprentice
Jul 28, 2007
hey buddy
Yes it will bolt right in with no problems, you might have to get a different u-joint and the rims, you might need a set that has a backspacing of 5.5 inches. thats if your rims are 15 by 8. i have a 12 bolt out of a 66 chevelle and i had to get rims with that backspacing and the u joints i needed to get 2 of them. one side is a bit longer and the other uses a different style of clip. your parts store should be able to hook you up. mine bolted right in to my 81 malibu

502monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2007
thats why i asked. i saw your post about the 66 chevelle 12 bolt and wasnt sure if they were one in the same. what do you mean about the u-joints. i dont quite understand what you were saying

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
There are 2 widths of factory 12 bolts used under Chevelles. One is from 1964-1967, the other is for 1968-1972. As far as the U joints go, the Yoke is likely a different cup size and will require that you either use adapter joints or have the driveshaft yoke changed to the 12 Bolt's size.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think the later one is the narrower one, but don't quote me on that. I know there were adapter lower arms offered by Southside Machine a few years ago to put a Chevelle rear in a G body, but don't remember anything else about it.

502monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 29, 2007
from what i've been told the earlier one, 64-67 is the narrower one. does anyone have a link to these lower control arms im going to need?

N.O.S SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2006
Bloomingburg NY
The 64 to 67 is the narrower rear,I know cause i have one of each in the garage.Finding those lower control arm`s is a problem since south side machine went out of busniess.If you find a set let me know,i be interested in getting a pair myself.

85MonteCarlo305

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2007
I know where you can get a pair of stock lower arms or upper arms if you want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor