12 bolt rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
hey does anybody know the diffrence in width of a g-body rear to a A-body rear ?

husky100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2008
Elkton, Maryland 21921
A body rear is wider by I think 3" maybe 4". A body rears will work but with some modification.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it's only an inch wider, 1/2 inch on each side...get the driveshaft with the rear if you can cause you'll need a driveshaft 1/2 inch shorter

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think it is more an issue of the mounting points for various suspension pieces that keeps it from being a simple bolt in.

husky100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2008
Elkton, Maryland 21921
Thats correct!! Backing plate to backing plate on a G body 7.5 is either 52 or 54 I keep forgetting but the A body 8.5 is 55.5 or 57 again I cant remember but I will go measure if you really need the measurements as I have several of both. What creates the problem is the upper and lower control arms as the angle is different. They do make upper and lower conversion bars but again for me it was not worth the hassle. Also the shocks may also be a little different as well in regaurds to the mounting location. I would do some further research before making my decision.

81malibag

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2007
Slohio
A 10 or 12 bolt rear will bolt in a G-Body car. You have to re-drill the upper control arm bolt hole on control arm (near crossmember) 3/4" on center inwards toward rearend. This will give you proper yoke angle. Your stock driveshaft will work & Napa auto parts sells the cross referenced U Joint for around $11 bucks & with a lifetime warranty. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor