12 bolt swap ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
im looking at buying an 84 monte thats got the weak 7.5" 10 bolt in it. I've got a 12 bolt rearend out of my camaro. I know people have done this swap but how should i go about locating brackets the the rear control arms bolt on to? this rear end came outa a leaf spring car so how do i get it to fit in the monte carlo?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Toss it aside and but a bolt in one. IDK the costs, but to put that in you'll need the brackets transfered over, probably have to shorten it, and with that you will need axles. And if you're gonna do that, you might as well have the whole thing rebuilt....

To much work, and it might even cost you more in the end to make that one fit. So I would just keep the 7.5 untill you can afford a bolt in one. And from what I've heard, as long as you're running street tires, that 7.5 will hold up.

loudvolvo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2009
what is the week point of the 7.5" is it the axles? Is there no way to beef up the internals?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm not sure, but I think it's the ring rear itself that is the weak point.

But yes, you could beef up the internals, and get one of those diff covers that supports the bearings. I have done this to my 7.5. But if you are planning to get the work done by a shop, you're looking at big $. Me personally, if I could go back in time, I would not have spent all that money on my rear. I think I have a little over $2000 into it. And for that price I could have found a better bolt in rear.

Watch the for sale section. G-body 8.5s are on there quite often. And it will be a lot cheaper that trying to beef up that 7.5.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
the 7.5 is not that weak.it will hold up to 400 wheel horse. it's the spider gears that are the weak link in the rears. so a good limited slip diff. can fix that .

406monte

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Quantico, VA
What is the reason that you are putting in the 12 Bolt? I mean if you are planning on spraying it or adding any power adder then ya put in a 12 bolt, 9 inch or an 8.5. If it is to say that you have one in the car then why bother. I am running my stock 7.5 in my monte with 439 hp and 437 trq and jerk the front tires of the ground and it is all stock minus the 3.73 gears and posi unit. I have been abusing the rear end for 9 years now this way. It has run flawless for me and continues to this day. I launch at 2800 rpm and never misses a beat and this is launching on Mickey Thompson Street E.T's. So, this is just a little food for thought.

Like he Pheonyx said save your money and buy in a bolt in or look for one out of a 69 chevelle they bolt right in and you just need to compensate some with the offset and you will be good and not as broke.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I agree with these guys. The 7.5 is fairly sturdy unless abused. If you REALLY want to upgrade, you should consider selling the 12 bolt and buying a 8.5 or even a 9" housing and build to suit. Camaro 12 bolts are pretty valuable as-is and should bring some serious $$$. There is probably a resto guy looking for the one you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor