14x6 Buick Rallye Wheel differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I had been using this website for date code reference, but not until now discovered scrolling to the right (on a phone) revealed the backspacing for each wheel:

Oddly enough, the latest wheels have the deepest dish on the face of the wheel.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Any pix of the ones your thinking of? Didn't older Buicks with fender skirts have a shallower wheel

I don't have any pictures. But that may be a reason the earlier ones weren't as deeply dished.

It's just odd that the G-body era wheel would have the shallowest backspacing.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
You are referring to these wheels correct?
1973-73-Buick-14X6-WX-Rally-Wheel-Rim.jpg

There was a guy next town over selling a set of these as Oldsmobile chrome rally's. He had 3 with the concave spokes as shown and 1 with the convex spokes that were chrome on an Oldsmobile and painted on a Chevrolet.
olds ss1.jpg

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
You are referring to these wheels correct?
View attachment 156802

There was a guy next town over selling a set of these as Oldsmobile chrome rally's. He had 3 with the concave spokes as shown and 1 with the convex spokes that were chrome on an Oldsmobile and painted on a Chevrolet.
View attachment 156808

Yes, however not so much to establish what a Buick wheel is but what specifically was different about the 14" Buick wheels over the years.

Every division had a similar wheel (except GMC and Cadillac), different enough to tell a difference if you pay attention. Yenko Chevy's had Pontiac Rallye II's for whatever reason, and as far as I know the Oldsmobile SSI was more or less a chrome version of a Chevy SS wheel, backspacing aside. Though maybe later, through 1972 or so, I thought I've seen silver painted SSI wheels with trim rings.

All a different topic than 14" Buick rallyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor